The basic Training unit (Cuban ATRs)

Vodou, Palo Mayombe, Kimbanda, Umbanda, Candomble, Catimbo, 21 Divisions, Santeria, etc.

Topic author
Pablo
Magister Templi

The basic Training unit (Cuban ATRs)

Post#1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:25 pm

I thought I would open up a conversation on the training system or Unit within the abovementioned ATRs. The house is the basic unit of of organisation in the ATrs. Each house is or should be part of a lineage that can be traced backwards to some part of Cuba and the key figures that came either from Slavery or as free men from Nigeria. Best book to cpture this history is "Santeria enthroned".

Anyway within the house may be several Elders who have apprentices underthem. " Apprentices" describe the nature of relationship. The elder is called the Padrino/Madrina the junior is called the godchild or could be a Godson/ Goddaughter. In a way the name does not mattter as the context of the relationship is more important.

I have already spoken of the differing initiatory levels and their corresponding level of knowledge granted in another post. What is important to convey is the protocol.

In terms of initiation it is the Godparent's duty to educate their Godchildren so much so that the Godchild should not really seek ritual knowledge outside of his godparent or the house. I have been asked certain questions and have become quite adept at actually direct people to ask their godparent. I may signpost something but the godparent has that entire training responsibility. So whatever I say has to be checked with the Individual's Godparent.

I do not intervene unless there is (God forbid) some kind of abuse. It is only if the relationship breaks down completely That I may step in if mandated and accept that person.

And even here godchildren and godparents cannot just get together there has to be a divination to ascertain whether or not the pairing is acceptable. Some people have even been warned by their tutelary orisha of dire consequences if they do not accept certain mandated Godchildren.

I have the responsibility to my Godchildren to educate them and it can be a shock for them because I am fierce but from my side it is tough work at times if you want to train someone properly to be fully self reliant in the religion and to their appropriate level.

Sometimes there is a mismatch like where there is an obviously academic type Godchild linked to a poorly educated Godparent. But within this dialectic both can benefit as everyone has to meet in the middle. Despite that the relationship can be lasting and sometimes even better than the biological parents/child relationship.
The vulgar is at everyone's command. Eirenaeus Philalethes - The marrow of Alchemy

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login