clear definitions

Vodou, Palo Mayombe, Kimbanda, Umbanda, Candomble, Catimbo, 21 Divisions, Santeria, etc.

Topic author
anonda
Adeptus Minor

clear definitions

Post#1 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:52 am

would someone please please
explain to me the difference between umbanda, kimbanda and macumba?

i know of candomble now.
i get confused with term macumba because i find that either it is an umbrella term for all afro-brazilian religions or an umbrella term for both umbanda and kimbanda...
has this term fallen into disuse?

then, umbanda and kimbanda are interchanged sometimes and have similarities
but, if im correct, kimbanda has less external influences whereas umbanda has adopted more of the kardecian and other practices...
some people consider kimbanda as being more sorcery-like while umbanda, not so much and if so, the purpose of the rituals are different

another question, is there any way that one could practice kimbanda or is this a closed tradition where you need to be initiated and the guidance of a teacher? in that case, i guess it wont happen in this life

it is so sad that afro-brazilian religions have not been able to get some ground outside of south america because, there are houses in argentina, uruguay and so on...
i know that one factor has to do with structure, structural grounds, land, formation...
i ve always found kimbanda and candomble more fascinating than lukumi and santeria...
well, i still adore palo, ifa, obeah and hoodoo...

This topic has 18 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login