Genii of the 12 Hours, by Eliphas Levi

The methods and techniques outlined in The Miracle of New Avatar Power by Geof Gray-Cobb

auset0216
Neophyte

Re: Genii of the 12 Hours, by Eliphas Levi

Post#11 » Wed May 30, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks for the link and info Tai. Interesting read.

toothache
Adeptus Minor

Post#12 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:27 pm

Must bump this

Provenant
Dominus
Dominus

Post#13 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:26 am

This is a post from FB, from Frater Acher, a longtime member here who hasn't been around in a while. But given the interest of the members here in the genii of the hours, particularly the ones included in NAP, thought that it was worthwhile to crosspost here.

Basically, Frater Acher is beginning to suspect that Levi may have invented the Genii of the Hours, as he can't find any genuine source amongst his research on pseudo-Apollonius of Tyanna.

Here's the post:

Question: Has anybody here done research into the origins of Pseudo-Apollonius of Tyana's NUCTEMERON?

I can trace back the below Greek version in Laurenz Mosheim's 'Sacred Observations' (1721). (If anybody knows a German or English translation of this work, that would be great!). -- However, I am struggling to find the reference in Gaulmin's 1629 'De vita et morte Moysis, Libri III' on page 206. Has anybody seen this latter reference?

Finally, the actual list of the 84 'Genii of the Twelve Hours' which Eliphas Levi gives in the appendix to his 'Transcendental Magic' seem to be another invention of the imaginative author? I cannot find any earlier reference to this spirit list.

Has anybody had more luck or knows additional sources?

==========

And the image he included in the post:

148104685_1394724470866192_6600049228175631092_o.jpg

Raum215, or Tai thought you guys might be interested if you are still lurking...
Cheers,

Prov

=============
Ars non Fortuna

Ironchakra1
Practicus

Post#14 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:18 pm

Interesting. Thanks for posting.