Pronunciation of Words of Power

The methods and techniques outlined in The Miracle of New Avatar Power by Geof Gray-Cobb

Topic author
arch
Neophyte

Pronunciation of Words of Power

Post#1 » Mon May 30, 2016 2:04 am

Hi Studio Arcanis!

Just would like to ask how to confirm/figure out the pronunciations depicted in "Miracle of New Avatar Power"?

Examples:
Jazar (book says "JAHZ-AIR" but is that "jazz air" or "jazz ah ir"?)
VAY-GAY-VOO-RAH (is it literally gay as in the word "gay" or "guy")?

Sorry for the really newbie questions but would really appreciate clarification.

talerman
Magus

Re: Pronunciation of Words of Power

Post#2 » Mon May 30, 2016 2:43 am

I am sure it must be gay, especially nowadays. :rofl

But no, seriously speaking, you should forget about English language. When you read those names, just forget English and try to read it as if they are written in other languages, maybe Latin, if you know it.

And try to find the original source for each name.

For example:VAY-GAY-VOO-RAH is strongly Americanised or Anglicised expression which source is somewhere else - Hebrew for sure - that Gay-Voo-Rah should have something to do with Geburah. It has been Americanised or Anglicised for English speakers to help them pronounce those words more correctly, but this method has obviously done more damages than good things. And it is often repeated by other modern authors such as Brand. It is mistake IMO.

jeff grayhair
Zelator

Post#3 » Tue May 31, 2016 7:45 pm

It's the intention behind it,not the prenounciation.

Leonardo_Drakon
Practicus

Post#4 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:51 am

Yes and no. While intent is essential, the proper pronunciation of a word of power, a mantra or the voces magicae of the PGM is an acoustic formula that resonates with the spirit world. Like the beat of a drum it literally affects the environment and charges the air around the practitioner.
----------γνῶθι σεαυτόν----------

NomenInspirata
Practicus

Post#5 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:05 pm

I am just curious about the the pronunciation of Tzavoös. It is written phonetically as being TZAH-VO-OSE (I read that as being TzahVo-Ose making the 'o' sound twice) any thoughts?

WolfAmongSheep
Philosophus

Post#6 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:00 am

NomenInspirata wrote:I am just curious about the the pronunciation of Tzavoös. It is written phonetically as being TZAH-VO-OSE (I read that as being TzahVo-Ose making the 'o' sound twice) any thoughts?

I want you to think of it like this: If a person had a speech impediment, would the angels refuse to work with them? What if that person was a mute? The pronunciation isn't the key. Your intent is the key.

As far as pronouncing Tzavoos, yours is as good as any. I sometimes speak with a Southern US accent. I would say it slightly different, because of my accent. Because of the regional differences in dialect, how it is pronounced would be different from say someone who is in the North Eastern US, vs a person in the Southern US, vs a person in the Mid-Western US, vs a person in the Western US, vs a person in Australia, vs a person in the UK, vs a person in the Ukraine, vs a person in China, vs a person in any other part of the world.

I know you were hoping for a straight "Yes" or "No" to your question, but one can't be given, because how you would pronounce it wouldn't be the same way I would pronounce it. Either way, it's going to work for you. Give it a try. :)
Last edited by WolfAmongSheep on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Of the Seven Deadly Sins, Lust is definitely the pick of the litter ~ Anon

NomenInspirata
Practicus

Post#7 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:03 am

WolfAmongSheep wrote:I know you were hoping for a straight "Yes" or "No" to your question, but one can't be given, because how you would pronounce it wouldn't be the same way I would pronounce it. Either way, it's going to work for you. Give it a try. :)
actually your "close enough" is plenty close enough

Adnarim
Adeptus Minor

Re: RE: Re: Pronunciation of Words of Power

Post#8 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:16 pm

WolfAmongSheep wrote:
NomenInspirata wrote:I am just curious about the the pronunciation of Tzavoös. It is written phonetically as being TZAH-VO-OSE (I read that as being TzahVo-Ose making the 'o' sound twice) any thoughts?

I want you to think of it like this: If a person had a speech impediment, would the angels refuse to work with them? What if that person was a mute? The pronunciation isn't the key. Your intent is the key.

As far as pronouncing Tzavoos, yours is as good as any. I sometimes speak with a Southern US accent. I would say it slightly different, because of my accent. Because of the regional differences in dialect, how it is pronounced would be different from say someone who is in the North Eastern US, vs a person in the Southern US, vs a person in the Mid-Western US, vs a person in the Western US, vs a person in Australia, vs a person in the UK, using a person in the Ukraine, vs a person in China, vs a person in any other part of the world.

I know you were hoping for a straight "Yes" or "No" to your question, but one can't be given, because how you would pronounce it wouldn't be the same way I would pronounce it. Either way, it's going to work for you. Give it a try. :)

Actually the dracula dialect works pretty darn good. I know you al think I am kidding because I tend to. . I am not. Not now.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
life is like walking backwards, you can't see where you are going but you can see where you have been.

WolfAmongSheep
Philosophus

Re: RE: Re: Pronunciation of Words of Power

Post#9 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:10 am

Adnarim wrote:
WolfAmongSheep wrote:

As far as pronouncing Tzavoos, yours is as good as any. I sometimes speak with a Southern US accent. I would say it slightly different, because of my accent. Because of the regional differences in dialect, how it is pronounced would be different from say someone who is in the North Eastern US, vs a person in the Southern US, vs a person in the Mid-Western US, vs a person in the Western US, vs a person in Australia, vs a person in the UK, using a person in the Ukraine, vs a person in China, vs a person in any other part of the world.

Actually the dracula dialect works pretty darn good. I know you al think I am kidding because I tend to. . I am not. Not now.

Is that because the language has it's roots in Latin?
Of the Seven Deadly Sins, Lust is definitely the pick of the litter ~ Anon

Adnarim
Adeptus Minor

Post#10 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:45 am

Yes it gives extra zing:)

life is like walking backwards, you can't see where you are going but you can see where you have been.