A failed evocation, my take, and further attempts

The Heptameron, the Key of Solomon, the Lemegeton, the Arbatel of Magic, the Book of Abramelin, etc.

Topic author
amind
Philosophus

A failed evocation, my take, and further attempts

Post#1 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:48 pm

My recently acquired aim, is to achieve a visual manifestation of a spirit. I've been practicing the trithemius method for about a month with little result. I don't feel I have followed the trithemius method as noted exactly, but I have taken shortcuts. So I will work further to follow the instructions fully.

Recently however, I have decided in all earnestly to try and accomplish a goetic evocation. This has for a long time been a great goal of mine. As a magician, I want to get visible/physical manifestation. I actually want to speak to the spirit directly and hear it intelligibly.

I rushed into this ritual. Plenty of equipment either not given their benediction, or some instructions not followed as precisely. I knew off the bat that the ritual would fail. But I had hope, that maybe, just maybe I might be able achieve it. And maybe even spot mistakes to iron out. I knew that I would do an evocation again soon, and when that time comes during the waxing moon, I would have all the necessary equipment. But for now, I wanted to see what mistakes I could find, and what I could improve.

I executed this ritual yesterday. It was an attempt to meet Seer. I really wanted to meet Beleth. But Beleth is a king, and can not be bound in the hours that I impromptu decided to work in. The only reason I chose Seer, is because it is noted in the grimoires that a Prince can be bound at any time of the day, and I was performing this ritual in the twilight hours of Friday(not the correct hour, or day, yes I know).

I am working from the goetia of Dr Rudd. I drew the heptameron circle by hand on a 5foot linen cloth. The triangle was done the same way as were the pentagram and hexagram. The incense used was not the correct one, I needed cedar, but used frankincense and myrrh sticks instead. I did not know the direction in which to face, so I used Crowley's 777 to find the direction of the spirit.

Here is the note from my magical journal:
"19:51
Gonna perform goetic evocation today in woods.
Not following text on too many things. But I consider this to be a prelim.
I don't expect a visual/physical manifestation at all. But perhaps this is good practice. And if I do experience anything interesting. It will be noted.

Things off the top of my head that aren't done to the instructions,
-(seals aren't done in correct metal(including pentagram and hexagram))
-Circle being used is less than 5 feet. Still waiting for 9 foot parchment to arrive.
-Pentagram not made in hour of mercury during mercury day.
-moon not waxing.
-Purity not kept.
-Hazel wand still not arrived yet.
-Did not memorize conjurations.
-No ring of solomon.
-No phylactery.
-No Secret Seal.
etc etc
the list could go on.

1:30
performed goetic ritual to Seer. at around 12:20am. In woods. Ritual went terrible. Couldn't see my papers. Should have
used kindle(or memorized conjurations). Didn't feel comfortable. Was a little windy and had to use candles to hold parchment down. Too many things went wrong to count. Spirit did not show up. The only phenomena whenever I perform an evocation that seems quite consistent, is the sound of a dog barking in the distance. Interesting synchronicity?

Might try goetia again soon. But this was a good wakeup call. Those woods were not the place to do this. Ideally I need a place indoors where I can control for variables. But I it's tough to find space in London."

I have quite a few questions to the experienced in evocatory magick. I will attempt another goetic evocation soon.
-I don't know the best direction to face, is 777 reliable for spirit direction.
-I am also basing my timing of the ritual on the Shemhamphoresh angel timing. Is this wise? I am using the day and hour of the shem angel to control the goetic. And choosing that hour based on time of binding (a king for example: 9am till noon)
-I am thinking of memorizing the conjurations, is this necessary? This will take quite some time.
-How many attempts did it take you before you got some form of manifestation?

Thank you for reading and for any insight you might have to offer.

This topic has 153 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login