Dr Rudd

The Heptameron, the Key of Solomon, the Lemegeton, the Arbatel of Magic, the Book of Abramelin, etc.

Topic author
talerman
Magus

Dr Rudd

Post#1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:09 am

Good old Dr Rudd strikes again on SA.

There are some old posts about Dr Rudd, but to me everything was so complex and confusing that it took me a lot of efforts to make some kind of overview on Dr Rudd.

Did I miss something important? Did I write something which is not correct or you don't agree with? I am looking for a discussion...

So, here is my short text.

Dr Rudd’s Grimoire

The British Harley Library was founded in October 1704, when Robert Harley (1661-1724) purchased more than 600 manuscripts from the collection of the antiquary Sir Simonds d’Ewes (d. 1650). Some volumes were written by Dr. Rudd, such as a version of Lemegaton, under the title “Liber Malorum Spirituum seu Goetia”. Dr. Rudd’s works are archived under the titles “Harley 6482” and “Harley 6843”.

“Harley 6482” includes sections on the Schemhamphorash angels, the hierarchies of fallen angels, the images of the Moon Mansions, the Nature Spirits, John Dee's Enochian system of Angel conjuration, and Dr. Rudd's Treatise on the Nine Hierarchies of Angels.

“Harley 6483” consists of a version of “Heptameron” and some other magical tracts, but most importantly begins with Dr. Rudd’s Lemegaton, in which he included the use of the 72 angels of the Shem ha-Mephorash as controlling spirits for the spirits of the Goetia. Dr. Rudd described the 72 Shemhamphorash angels as a balancing force against the 72 Goetic spirits of the “Ars Goetia". In Dr Rudd’s system, the Shem angels were intended to protect the magicians and control the demons they evoked. Rudd's method included the binding of a Goetic spirit with his relevant Shem angel. Each of 72 angels controls and counters a specific demon of the same number. When making the seal of a demon for its conjuration, the magician writes the name of the angel and a verse from a Psalm on the opposite side. This system’s aim was to allow a more stable procedure, as the magician has an angel backing him up for each demon.

It has not still been solved who was Dr Rudd, the author. Some magicians say that that there are a number of Grimoires attributed to Dr Rudd, so they think that either Rudd didn’t exist, was merely a copyist, or was a cover name for a group of people engaged in the same work.

Other authors, like Skinner and Rankine, have identified Dr Rudd with Thomas Rudd (1583?–1656), an English military engineer and mathematician. The objection has been, however, raised that there is little evidence that Thomas and Doctor Rudd are the same.

Some magicians do not think that this system is genuine. They say Dr Rudd noticed that the number of demons matched the number of angels and got creative. Other people dismissed this system observing that Shem angels are strictly 72, while the demons are more or less than that in many lists. On the other side, one Christian magician, who would not otherwise evoke Goetic spirits due to his faith, was actually encouraged to that thanks to Dr Rudd. But most importantly, those magicians who did try Dr Rudd’s system have experienced that it works very well. One magician tried Dr. Rudd’s method and find it very effective. He finds Goetic spirits very obedient when you follow Dr. Rudd's method. Another magician had never worked with the Shem angels before, but ever since he applied Dr. Rudd’s system in his Goetic evocations, he had the success with it. He now thinks that it is a very important addition to getting the Goetia to work.

This topic has 26 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login