Mass of the Holy Ghost (Spirit) - V - In nomine Patris to Offertory

The Heptameron, the Key of Solomon, the Lemegeton, the Arbatel of Magic, the Book of Abramelin, etc.

Topic author
Serapion
Neophyte

Mass of the Holy Ghost (Spirit) - V - In nomine Patris to Offertory

Post#1 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:48 pm

Having familiarized one's self with posts I-IV in this series, you are ready to begin Mass: specifically, the Low Votive Mass of the Holy Ghost, celebrated as missa solitaria.

The Mass (any) is divided into two parts: the Mass of the Catechumens and the Mass of the Faithful. These are ancient distinctions, and loosely relate to the Mass as a two-part sacrifice: that of praise (the Mass of the Catechumens, which the unbaptized and those outside the faith were permitted to attend) and that of (Christ's) blood (the Mass of the Faithful, which was restricted to the baptized/those inside the faith).

Again, knowledge is power. Whatever one's personal theology may be (whether various flavor of Christian, atheist, agnostic, pagan syncretic; any) one should understand what is taking place within the performance of this rite (there are no "magic words"* here; the words tell the story) -- namely, one is offering actual, literal sacrifice to Yahweh: firstly by way of praise and worship; secondly, by offering Yahweh the (actual, literal ontologically-speaking) Body and Blood of His Son - the bread and wine metaphysically transforming into such by the invoked power of the Holy Spirit - as a sin offering in accordance with the Pentateuch of Moses (the "Old Testament"). However you personally view these actions, they are what is taking place within the context of the rite.

Here we digress further into metaphysics. "Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sin," [the biblical Book of] Hebrews declares. The Crucifixion (of Christ) event was that shedding in a historic sense. What you make ready to do, through the Mass, is make that shedding temporally (in your time and space) present and (temporally) "real".

"As above, so below," that wise maxim, is again useful here. [The biblical Book of] Revelation/Apocalypse paints a vivid picture of Heaven in which the slain Lamb (traditionally Christ) continually offers Himself to Yahweh in satisfaction of Yahweh's blood-covenant of the Pentateuch. This event is occurring outside of space and time (as space and time are human constructs), in perpetuity. "As above". So how does one mirror this event now, in the present, in one's personal time and space? The Mass. "So below". One is said to celebrate the Mass in persona Christi - that is, "in the person of Christ". The priest/operator is assuming the role (if one imagined the rite as a play, for example) of Christ in "making present", "making real", here and now, the picture painted in Revelation/Apocalypse. Because, note, the slain Lamb offers Himself in Revelation, unlike the lambs of the Pentateuch, which were offered by Hebrew Priests. In the Mass, as in Christian thought, the priest of the "New Covenant" is simultaneously the sacrifice. Christ.

I have digressed enough.

Standing before one's dressed and ready altar, make ready. One's "missal" (mass-book), assuming one is using printed text of some sort (quite a feat indeed should one recite the rite solely from memory!) should be placed on the left side of the altar (the "Epistle" side) to start, being moved by the celebrant to the right ("Gospel") side later in the rite, symbolizing the passing of darkness into light; Christ's ascension "to the right hand of the Father".

Light your altar-candles, join your hands together (as in prayer) and begin the Mass:

At the Predella
In the name of the Father, and of the Son (+) [make the Sign of the Cross upon yourself, returning your hands to the prayer position], and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

Antiphon
V. I will go in to the altar of God.
R. To God, the joy of my youth.

Psalm 42
Omitted from Passion Sunday (the Sunday before Palm Sunday) through Holy Saturday (the Saturday before Easter Sunday) inclusively. One then jumps to "Our help is in...".
V. Give judgment for me, O God, and decide my cause against an unholy people, from unjust and deceitful men deliver me.
R. For Thou, O God, art my strength, why hast Thou forsaken me? And why do I go about in sadness, while the enemy afflicts me?
V. Send forth Thy light and Thy truth; for they have led me and brought me to Thy holy hill and Thy dwelling place.
R. And I will go in to the altar of God, to God, the joy of my youth.
V. I shall yet praise Thee upon the harp, O God, my God. Why art thou sad, my soul, and why dost thou trouble me?
R. Trust in God, for I shall yet praise Him, the salvation of my countenance and my God.

V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost.
R. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Antiphon
V. I will go in to the altar of God.
R. To God, the joy of my youth.

V. Our help (+) [make the Sign of the Cross upon yourself, as will be the case every time you see this] is in the name of the Lord.
R. Who hath made heaven and earth.

Hands still joined in the prayer position, bow forward at the waist and say the Confiteor:
Confiteor
I confess to almighty God, to blessed Mary, ever virgin, to blessed Michael the archangel, to blessed John the Baptist, to the holy apostles Peter and Paul and to all the saints that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word and deed: through my fault (strike breast), through my fault (strike breast), through my most grievous fault (strike breast). Therefore I beseech the blessed Mary, ever virgin, blessed Michael the archangel, blessed John the Baptist, the holy apostles Peter and Paul and all the saints to pray to the Lord our God for me.

May the Almighty and merciful Lord grant us pardon (+), absolution and full remission of our sins. Amen.

Still bowed at the waist and with hands still in the prayer position, continue:
V. Thou wilt turn, O God, and bring us to life.
R. And Thy people shall rejoice in Thee.
V. Show us, O Lord, Thy mercy.
R. And grant us Thy salvation.
V. O Lord, hear my prayer.
R. And let my cry come unto Thee.
V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit.

Starting with hands in the prayer position, slowly separate them in a straight line from left to right until you reach your shoulders, at which point you rejoin them as you say:
Let us pray.

Stand upright (release bow). With the hands still in prayer position:
Take away from us our sins, O Lord, that we may enter with pure minds into the holy of holies. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Bow forward with your hands still in prayer position, touching the little fingers of each hand to the altar:
We beseech Thee, O Lord, by the merits of Thy saints: deign in Thy mercy to pardon me all my sins. Amen.

Stand upright (release bow).

INTROIT (Mass of the Holy Ghost)
The Introit is but one of many Propers of the Mass: it changes depending on the Mass being celebrated. Because you are saying the Mass of the Holy Ghost, you will use its special Introit. The parts of the Mass that do not change are called the Ordinary parts. During Paschaltime (from Easter to Pentecost Sundays), the strikethrough portions are said.

(+) The Spirit of the Lord hath filled the whole earth, alleluia; and that which containeth all things hath knowledge of the voice, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia. (Psalm 67, 2:) Let God arise, and His enemies be scattered; and let them that hate Him fly before His face. The Spirit of the Lord hath filled the whole earth, alleluia; and that which containeth all things hath knowledge of the voice, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia.

V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost.
R. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Kyrie
(Nine entries; three times for each Person of the Trinity.)
V. Lord, have mercy on us.
R. Lord, have mercy on us.

R. Christ, have mercy on us.
V. Christ, have mercy on us.
R. Christ, have mercy on us.

R. Lord, have mercy on us.

From the prayer position, separate, then raise, then rejoin, then lower your hands (each hand making a small circle in front of and slightly above you) as you begin:
Gloria
Glory to God in the highest. And on earth peace to men of good will. We praise Thee. We bless Thee. We adore Thee.
We glorify Thee. We give Thee thanks for Thy great glory, O Lord God, heavenly King, God the Father Almighty. O Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son. O Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of the Father. Who takest away the sins of the world, have mercy on us. Who takest away the sins of the world, receive our prayer. Who sittest at the right hand of the Father, have mercy on us. For Thou alone art holy, Thou alone art Lord. Thou alone, O Lord Jesus Christ, art most high. Together with the Holy Ghost (+), in the glory of God the Father. Amen.

From the prayer position, separate and rejoin your hands as you say:
Let us pray.

Separate your hands to the width of your shoulders and, keeping them thus, say the Collect Prayer:
COLLECT (Mass of the Holy Ghost)
O God, Who didst instruct the hearts of the faithful by the light of the Holy Spirit, grant us, by the same Spirit, to relish what is right and ever to rejoice in His consolation. Rejoining hands: Through Jesus Christ, Thy Son, Our Lord, Who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the same Holy Ghost, God, world without end. Amen.

EPISTLE (Mass of the Holy Ghost)
V. Lesson from the Acts of the Apostles:

(Acts 8, 14-17)
In those days when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent to them Peter and John. On their arrival they prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Spirit; for as yet He had not come upon any of them, but they had only been baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus. Then they laid their hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit. Alleluia, alleluia.

V. John 14:26: The Holy Spirit will teach you whatever I shall have said to you. Alleluia.

Take a step back and bend at the knees, ultimately kneeling and say:
V. Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Your faithful; and kindle in them the fire of Your love.

Stand and recite the Gradual, Alleluia(s) and/or Tract:
GRADUAL (Mass of the Holy Ghost)
During Paschaltime (Easter to Pentecost Sundays), the Gradual as well as the Tract are replaced by the Greater Alleluia.
(Psalm 32, 12, 6:) Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord: the people whom He hath chosen for His inheritance. V. By the word of the Lord the heavens were established: and all the power of them by the spirit of His mouth.

LESSER ALLELUIA (Mass of the Holy Ghost)
From Septuagesima (the third Sunday before Ash Wednesday) to Easter, the Lesser Alleluia is replaced by the Tract.
Alleluia, alleluia.

Kneel:
Come, O holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Thy faithful; and kindle in them the fire of Thy love. Alleluia.

TRACT (Mass of the Holy Ghost)
Said in place of the Lesser Alleluia from Septuagesima to Easter Sundays. Replaced (along with the Gradual) during Paschaltime by the Greater Alleluia.
(Psalm 103, 30:) Send forth Thy spirit, and they shall be created: and Thou shalt renew the face of the earth. V. O how good and sweet, O Lord, is Thy spirit within us.

Kneel:
V. Come, O holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Thy faithful; and kindle in them the fire of Thy love.

GREATER ALLELUIA (Mass of the Holy Ghost)
Said in place of the Gradual AND the Tract during Paschaltime (from Easter to Pentecost Sundays).
Alleluia, alleluia. V. (Psalm 103, 30:) Send forth Thy Spirit, and they shall be created; and Thou shalt renew the face of the earth. Alleluia.

Kneel:
Come, O holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Thy faithful, and kindle in them the fire of Thy love. Alleluia.

Stand.

Hands joined in the prayer position, bow forward:

Munda cor Meum
Cleanse my heart and my lips, O Almighty God, who didst cleanse the lips of the prophet Isaias with a burning coal; deign of Thy gracious mercy so to purify me that I may worthily proclaim Thy holy Gospel. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Pray, Lord, Thy blessing.
The Lord be in my heart and on my lips, that I may worthily and fittingly proclaim His holy Gospel. Amen.

Stand (release bow).

GOSPEL (Mass of the Holy Ghost)
V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit.

With your left hand on your "missal" (i.e., the printed text you're presumably working from), use your right thumb to make the SIgn of the Cross - beginning with the first word of the text itself - saying:

+ [Sign first word of text] The continuation (bring your left hand to your breast; right hand to forehead) (+) [Sign forehead] of the holy Gospel (+) [Sign lips silently] (+) [Sign breast] according to Saint John.

Join hands into the prayer position.

Glory be to Thee, O Lord.

(John 14:23-31)
At that time, Jesus said to His disciples: "If anyone love Me, he will keep My word, and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. He who does not love Me, does not keep My words. And the word that you have heard is not Mine, but the Father's Who sent Me. These things I have spoken to you while yet dwelling with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My Name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your mind whatever I have said to you. Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, or be afraid. You have heard Me say to you: 'I go away and I am coming to you." If you loved Me, you would indeed rejoice that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. And now I have told you before it comes to pass, that when it has come to pass you may believe. I will no longer speak much with you, for the prince of the world is coming, and in Me he has nothing. But he comes that the world may know that I love the Father, and that I do as the Father has commanded Me."

Praise be to Thee, O Christ.
By the words of the holy Gospel (using your lips, kiss the Gospel text), may our sins be blotted out.

This concludes the first part of the Mass of the Holy Ghost, the Mass of the Catechumens (the sacrifice of praise and worship), celebrated as Low Missa Solitaria (Mass by Celebrant only, without a server ["altar-boy"] or congregation) in the Tridentine Rite (the rite of the Roman Church as celebrated for 400 years, from 1570-1970.)

Stay tuned for the next installment of the Mass of the Holy Ghost, the Mass of the Faithful: the offering of Christ's body and blood to Yahweh in propitiatory sacrifice for sin.

Pax vobis,
(Peace to you,)
+Serapion
V. Omnes Sancti et Sanctae Dei
R. Intercédite pro nobis.

"Woo! I feel real." ~ [American Disco Singer] Sylvester [James] (1947-1988).

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login