Mass of the Holy Ghost (Spirit) - IV - Altar Setup and Introductory Rites

The Heptameron, the Key of Solomon, the Lemegeton, the Arbatel of Magic, the Book of Abramelin, etc.

Topic author
Serapion
Neophyte

Mass of the Holy Ghost (Spirit) - IV - Altar Setup and Introductory Rites

Post#1 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:36 am

Alternate title: Preparing for an Overdose of the Holy Ghost.

Pax vobis, friends! As the Lenten journey begins to come to its close this Wednesday of Passion Week, what better time - as we approach The Second Sunday of the Passion/Palm Sunday and Holy Week - to continue our long-running series on The Mass of the Holy Ghost.

Having a regrettable tendency to delve excessively into minutia, I shall make a concerted effort at brevity for this posting.

Having fashioned and/or otherwise obtained the appropriate materials and implements for the rite (see my previous posts), we are ready, at long last, to cement theory and PRACTICE!

A brief digression RE: the (Liturgical) Calendar. Completely dependent on how much the Operator wishes to mirror "the book", I note for the benefit of those persons and for any future readers the fact that, depending on the (Liturgical/"Church") Season, certain prayers and structures of the Mass rite proper vary, often by omission or substitution. I will demarcate throughout the rite such changes, simply in the interest of presenting the ritual in as razor-sharp detail as I possibly can for any who might find value in such.

Working Setup
Upon your working area (hereafter referred to as altar), setup your implements as follows (assuming your space is a square or rectangle):

If using altar-cloths, drape them over your altar (if using the traditional three, place two evenly covering the space, as one would a tablecloth; the third should favor the front, semi-/covering it: i.e., on top, draping down the front).
    At the top left and right corners, place your altar-candles (unlit).
    Place your Representation of the Crucifixion of Christ in the center (crucifix, small picture, et cetera), at the back (if freestanding; alternately, hanging on the wall behind your altar, centered; also alternately, having a crucifix [necklace, for example] around the neck).
    At the center-front, place your consecrated, empty Chalice; on top of your Chalice, place your purificator; on top of your purificator, place your Paten; on top of your Paten, place your bread/wafer; upon the bread, place your Corporal. See my previous posts if you do not understand these terms and/or for details.
    At whatever places are convenient (either upon the altar or a side-space nearby), place your cruets (which should contain ordinary, unblessed wine [in one] and water [in the other]), and your (empty) "Lavabo" bowl and towel.

Now. Placing your Sword, Pentacle(s) and/or whatever other magical/grimoiric tools/implements you are wishing to consecrate via this Mass at a suitable position on your altar (there are no rubrics; one could place it/them under the altar-cloth, between them [if using three], or plainly visible upon the altar), you are ready to begin.

Preliminary Prayers
While not part of the Mass rite proper, the rubrics call clerics to a "suitable period of prayer" before beginning Mass. This is a highly subjective phrase; I offer these as tradition; as always, one should do as they will.

Eternal Father, I unite myself with the intentions and affections of Our Lady of Sorrows on Calvary, and I offer Thee the sacrifice which Thy beloved Son Jesus made of Himself on the Cross, and now renews on this holy altar: one, to adore Thee and give Thee the honor which is due to Thee, confessing Thy supreme dominion over all things and the absolute dependence of everything upon Thee, Who art our one and last end; two, to thank Thee for innumerable benefits received; three, to appease Thy justice, irritated against us by so many sins; four, to implore grace and mercy for myself, for all afflicted and sorrowing, for poor sinners, for all the world, and for the holy souls in purgatory.

Almighty, everlasting God, look down in mercy upon me, Thy servant, who now again draw near to the most holy sacrament of Thine only-begotten Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ. I approach as one who is sick, to the physician of life; as one unclean, to the fountain of mercy; as one blind, to the light of eternal brightness; as one poor and needy, to the Lord of heaven and earth. I implore Thee, therefore, out of the abundance of Thy boundless mercy, that Thou wouldst vouchsafe to heal my sickness, to wash away my defilement, to give sight to my eyes, to enrich my poverty, and to clothe my nakedness; that I may receive the bread of angels, the King of kings, the Lord of lords, with such reverence and humility, such contrition and devotion, such purity and faith, such purpose and intention, as may tend to the salvation of my soul.

Grant to me, I beseech Thee, not only to receive the sacrament of the body and blood of the Lord, but to profit by its substance and virtue. O God most merciful, grant me the grace to receive the body of Thine only-begotten Son, Jesus Christ, Our Lord, which He took of the Virgin Mary, in such wise, that I may be found worthy to be incorporated into His mystical body, and for evermore to be numbered among His members.

O Father, most loving, I am about to welcome into my heart Thine own beloved Son, hidden under His sacramental veil; may it, in Thy great goodness, be mine, in the end, for all eternity face to face to gaze upon Him:

Who with Thee liveth and reigneth, in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. Amen.

Asperges Me, Domine (Sprinkle Me, Lord)
Though we are celebrating missa solitaria - that is, the rite of Low Mass without a server or congregation (again, see my previous posts) - some cleric-magicians (including myself) use the High Mass rite of Asperges as a quasi-"banishing" ritual: "clearing the air" and priming your spiritual environment for the working to follow. I present it now as a resource. During Paschaltime (from Easter to Pentecost Sundays), the Vidi Aquam (I Saw Water) replaces the Asperges.

While saying the Antiphon, one sprinkles (using a brush, straw, et cetera; even one's fingers) holy water (see my previous posts for its creation) outward from one's self in a \|/ pattern (that is, out to the left; straight ahead; out to the right).

As always, "V." and "R." signify "versicle" and "response", respectively. Any persons present other than the Operator, should there be any, make the "responses". Otherwise, one makes the "responses" him-/herself. (See my previous posts for why.)

Antiphon
Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop, O Lord, and I shall be cleansed; Thou shalt wash me, and I shall be made whiter than snow.

Psalm 50
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Thy great mercy.

V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost.
R. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Antiphon
Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop, O Lord, and I shall be cleansed; Thou shalt wash me, and I shall be made whiter than snow.

V. Show us, O Lord, Thy mercy.
R. And grant us Thy salvation.
V. O Lord, hear my prayer.
R. And let my cry come unto Thee.
V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit.

Let us pray.
Graciously hear us, O Holy Lord, Father Almighty, Eternal God; and vouchsafe to send down from heaven Thy holy angel, that he may watch over, foster, safeguard, abide with and defend all who dwell in this house. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Vidi Aquam (I Saw Water)
Used instead of the Asperges during Paschaltime (from Easter to Pentecost Sundays).

Antiphon
I saw water coming forth from the temple on the right side, alleluia: and all those to whom this water came were saved, and shall say, alleluia.

Psalm 117
Give praise to the Lord, for He is good: for His mercy endureth forever.

V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost.
R. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Antiphon
I saw water coming forth from the temple on the right side, alleluia: and all those to whom this water came were saved, and shall say, alleluia.

V. Show us, O Lord, Thy mercy, alleluia.
R. And grant us Thy salvation. Alleluia.
V. O Lord, hear my prayer.
R. And let my cry come unto Thee.
V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit.

Let us pray.
Graciously hear us, O Holy Lord, Father Almighty, Eternal God; and vouchsafe to send down from heaven Thy holy angel, that he may watch over, foster, safeguard, abide with and defend all who dwell in this house. Through Christ our Lord.
R. Amen.

And thus concludes this post. Next, we will delve into The Mass of the Holy Ghost proper. Stick with me and you'll know it better than the priest down the block!

Pax vobis,
+Serapion
V. Omnes Sancti et Sanctae Dei
R. Intercédite pro nobis.

"Woo! I feel real." ~ [American Disco Singer] Sylvester [James] (1947-1988).

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login