The "Living World" Grimoire

The Heptameron, the Key of Solomon, the Lemegeton, the Arbatel of Magic, the Book of Abramelin, etc.

Topic author
Daniel of Windsor
Philosophus

The "Living World" Grimoire

Post#1 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:04 am

Firstly, I'd like to apologize ahead of time for even trying to express this idea/thought, it's an odd one to even think about, let alone write it and try to share it with others. If it seems confusing, it probably rightfully is.

Books have an interesting effect on their readers, no doubt by the virtue of their authors, to draw-in the readers, into their world, the world within the pages. Fantasy/Fiction does this intentionally, with internal characters and plots designed and allowing for relation between yourself of your world, to then enter into theirs without restrictions, save for that of your imaginative and intellectual comprehensions, as your sit reading it outside-of-body from its pages, always finding your way back to your world, willingly or not. Such trips into these worlds, come with tethers to pull you out at all times.

Grimoires, take it a step further. Unlike a simply Fantasy-World Story, which belongs to the playing of the Characters within them, the Magician draws the story out of its pages, and into their world, the world of the reader. You become an External Character which can interact and share plot with the Internal Characters, assuming its conditions of world are met. Conditions like Ritual Workings, Faith In The Structures, some manor of Cosplay and Environmental Set-Ups. The goal being, to set-up the Grimoire's Internal World within The Magician's External World, like an "Embassy of Realities" I suppose is one way of looking at it. You allow The Grimoire Reality into your world to exist there, but can always at any time just shut it down and release it/return it into its pages, whenever you shelve it back to its slumber on dusty display cases.

But, what if just "putting the book-world away" simply wasn't an option? What if, a Grimoire was Independent Enough to exist in two worlds simultaneously of its own Mechanical Will? A situation where regardless of its reader, The Internal Page's Plot and The External Tabletop's Room, were as one Universe? Simply walking into such a room, you become equally and immediately both Magician/Reader and Adventurer/Character, regardless if you want to or not, as it may or may not choose to select and include you into that very room, that Universe it operates of its own existence.

I've had to start pondering, if such powerful a book as this could presently exist, and if it be possible to summon it. I ponder this, because I am frustrated and bored, and at a loss. I've read many books/grimoires, having read and studied and practiced what I could of them as defined and limited by what my External World will allow. I realize, that I'm in the wrong world, for the things that I want to do. The Books I have now, the ones with spells/rituals, religions, spirituality and reality principles, they do not change or possess powers that effect or operate within my External World, not unless I cause them to do so of my own Powers to begin with. Powers like how I control the world around me, its resources and rules that define the sacred space, and allow the Embassy of the Texts to come forth from beyond their pages.

I guess I could be saying, is that for a moment, I'm curious enough as to seek an asylum/education within such a "Living World" Grimoire, to leave my External World, and to enter into its Universal Operations, for a brief while. I think that how such a Grimoire can accomplish its independent feats, is something I could learn from for myself, but I need to be in it and experience this personally if I'm ever to truly grasp what this is, and to maybe apply such learnt things into my External Life that I would eventually return to.

The only thing that I think I need to do, to get this started, is to find one of these Independent Reality-Engineering "Living World" Grimoires, and enter into it. To do this, I need to either summon it to me, or recognize where one might be and go to it somehow. I believe that these books exist, as there are stories about these stories, some very well known and some not so much, but I think that the one I'm looking for is so far out there, that it might not be possible to share in-recounting, or else we'd all know about it and I'd have no reason to even ask or to ponder this speculatively.

Such a powerful Grimoire, would probably be capable of self-travel. Imagine one of its own Characters coming to life and carrying the book around in our External World, and we'd be none the wiser as simple-minded mortals just going about our own business. It can probably write some of its own rules and structures, reality-parameters that can make itself visible or invisible, remembered or forgotten, found or lost, or just resting on its choice of book shelf. Imagine a fiction that can write its own fiction, in its own language, bound within its own chosen bindings. Such a self-engineering creativity may not even be bound by what we could conceive of as a book, a grimoire, it might not even have pages at all. If it was even found or came unto your possession and care, how could you even begin to distinguish between the worlds internal and external?
Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair!

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login