Instead of "Thank You" posts - offerings.

The Heptameron, the Key of Solomon, the Lemegeton, the Arbatel of Magic, the Book of Abramelin, etc.

Topic author
BaiLung
Zelator

Instead of "Thank You" posts - offerings.

Post#1 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:07 pm

It seems to me that there is a growing consensus that thanking a spirit on an internet forum (like this one) is either disrespectful, an easy shortcut, or simply out of place - as in, this forum isn't really intended for that use. There is also very little literature that I can find that actually supports this sort of thing.

Instead of banging my head against the monolithic wall that is this trend, I thought that I might offer some alternatives that are still pretty easy to do yet manage to be respectful and show a willingness to make an effort.

Here are some simple offerings for spirits.

Bread: Kings and peasants of old have had this food item in common. It's a staple, inexpensive, and commonly accepted as a valid offering in any number of traditions.

Incense: This one used to be expensive back in the day. People stunk and there wasn't deodorant or... you know, much in the way of personal hygiene... so having stuff around that could cover up most odors was something of a luxury. Today, however, incense can be found just about anywhere and it isn't very expensive at all. It has ritual, remedial, and magical uses alongside its mundane capabilities and traditions. It's a good offering all around.

Water: It may not seem obvious, but purified (ritually) water can be useful to a spirit. We aren't the only ones that perform magic and many spirits can find a multitude of uses for water that has been purified and is ready to be used in rituals or to be further enchanted.

Fruit: Another simple, common offering - deities and ancestor spirits are frequently offered fruit, as are nature spirits and a host of others.

Semi-precious Stones: These are pretty good offerings. They aren't terribly expensive, are nice to look at, and have a truly dazzling array of uses. If a spirit can not find a use for some of these, then you might want to find a more knowledgeable spirit in general.

Talismans: This is an odd one, I will admit, and it should be handled with care. Making talismans and giving them as offerings does arm the spirits, but if you are focused on cultivating a good relationship with a spirit rather than making it into your enemy, this shouldn't be a problem.

Alcohol: If you are of age and can afford it, alcohol is a traditional offering for spirits. Wine has a long history associated with religion and the mysteries. Other beverages are available.

Herbs: Many herbs have magical qualities that can be found to line up with qualities of spirits. Herbs for healing, visions, protection, etc., are all useful to spirits that share those properties. If you are of age, this can include tobacco as well.

If you have any questions or comments or want to expand upon this list, feel free to post.

This topic has 24 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login