The Tools Of Our Trade

The Heptameron, the Key of Solomon, the Lemegeton, the Arbatel of Magic, the Book of Abramelin, etc.

Topic author
BaiLung
Zelator

The Tools Of Our Trade

Post#1 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:57 pm

Much has been said about conjurations, circles, triangles, paper V. parchment, and even Solomon's use of controlling angels to bind demons... along with that legendary ring. Rankine does a good job of summarizing a bit of the history of these facets of the grimoire tradition on his blog ( https://davidrankine.wordpress.com/grimoire/ ). What about the other tools?

The rod, staff, sword, dagger, etc. All of these can be found in the Key of Solomon. Is this their first appearance on the scene? I haven't found such a collection of accoutrements anywhere else that predate the Key. There are isolated mentions though, sure... A rod of blank here, a breastplate of whatsit there, (And, really? the site puts a hideous red, squiggly underline under "grimoire" and "accoutrements" but "whatsit" is totally fine? Get your shit together, spellchecker.) and so on and so forth. But those mentions are not specifically linked to the grimoire tradition. If I have missed something, which is entirely possible, do point me in the right direction. But if I have been exact in my observation, then the Key is the first source that lists such a grand number of tools specifically for magical use. If so, what is their significance? If this is their first arrival on the scene, where were they before and what was their use then? And why were they put into the Key?

This topic has 20 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login