Not really about magick, but one of the most useful books I've ever read.

New Book Releases, Recommendations and Reviews.

Topic author
[V]
Practicus

Not really about magick, but one of the most useful books I've ever read.

Post#1 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:12 am

I've read hundreds of books on the topic of the occult, and I found that some of the most useful books I've read were not at all about magick. This is one of them. http://www.amazon.ca/Mind-For-Numbers-S ... B00G3L19ZU

Its a brief book. Apply everything you learn in this book to the content in the book and you will be amazed.

One topic the author really spends a lot of time discussing is the about the Focused vs Diffuse mode of thinking.
Let me give you an example of what this is. I study medicine, and I study fairly intensely every day. This is the focused mode. We do this with occult material all the time. For example we study the correspondences of a particular tarot card. Or with a mundane topic, we can study the role of a certain hormone in our endocrine system. We obtain a surface level of understanding. What the author strongly advocates, which many of us do without realizing, is we take a break and do something completely different. We go for a walk, read something else, play music, etc. This is the 'Diffuse' mode of thinking. During this diffuse mode, we are able to attain a deeper understanding of the topic. This comes to us through daydream like inspiration, fleeting visions, etc. These passive inspirations confer deep understanding of the material in relation to what our mind already understands. This is how I attain deep understanding of my science topics.

I've realized that this is also how I attain occult knowledge. I can learn all the relationships of a particular tarot card, but that one vision I have while going for a walk or cleaning my house is the true gem. While its important not to place too much emphasis on that revelation, it serves as a stepping stone for future revelations to take its place.

Understanding these principles also deeply relates to my experience with evocations. My successful evocations always result in a strong feeling or presence in my temple. I ask questions often, and they are rarely answered immediately. I receive my answers usually later in the day when I'm not even thinking about my operation.

This book has given me a fresh perspective on my mundane & occult studies. I see my mundane activities as simply a vehicle to deliver the inspirations of wisdom that I'm always seeking. This reminds me a part of The Voice of the Silence where Blavatsky wrote,
18. This earth, O ignorant Disciple, is but the dismal
entrance leading to the twilight that precedes the valley of
true light—that light which no wind can extinguish, that light
which burns without a wick or fuel.

Much of our occult studies are quite heavy on the books, and this particular book nails it in terms of how to really approach such dense material.

I hope you find this book as enlightening as I did!
[V]

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login