A Tarot Book I found (Need input)

New Book Releases, Recommendations and Reviews.

Topic author
Leviosanimus
Practicus

A Tarot Book I found (Need input)

Post#1 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:16 pm

So I recently took a trip up to the capital of Canada for the July 1st celebrations. While I was enjoying my vacation there I went shopping at a little used book store in the area. I happened upon a nice little find which was a nice surprise.

I found a book titled: "The Taro Book", It seems to have been created by a Toronto based publishing group in 1991 Name of the group being: "Emin Canada Publications".
It seems to have been printed out on a typewriter and hand bound, The book is about a Tarot deck called "The Frownstrong Tarot Pack" The entire deck seems to be composed of only Major Arcana which seem to be based off of the Rider-Waite deck, Except for some very neat differences,
For instance 'The Devil' Card is instead called 'The Green Man', 'Death" Card is called 'The Reaper'

The Decks illustrations are different than the Rider Waite with many similarities.
Now this book had another little hand created book sort of thing tucked inside it, it contains what looks like what may have been the little book that may have come with this deck, It has illustrations of all the cards in black and white with a little description of the meaning of each card beside it, (it looks almost like it was photocopied onto this paper then made into a little book (The actual deck if it was ever released, Maybe it had a little card sized book with all this information in this second book with it.) and it has the entire Frownstrong deck printed in color on sort of laminated paper in the back of the book, It also has instructions on how to cut out the cards and mount them on card stock then laminate them to create the deck.

Here are some pictures of the main book so you guys can read some of it. Obviously I am not going to post the entire book or anything I just am posting a small sample of it just so people can see what it looks like and how it is printed.

I have yet to do much research on it, I looked up the deck and it seems to be labelled as rare and out of print. I am sure if I dig around I could find out a lot more about it, I was just wondering what you folks think of this?

I thought maybe it was like a pirated copy of the book and deck, But the thing is that on the very front of the second book a copyright warning is the very first page with all the info about the publisher. Seems strange for someone who wants to sell homemade copies of a tarot deck to print out the copyright information warning including the phone number of the publishers office too lol.

Anyway what do you guys think of this find?
If anyone wants to see some of the second book I can scan a few pages of it aswell.

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login