Greco-Egyptian Magic

Syncretic Egyptian / Graeco-Roman magic from the collection of texts known as the Papyri Graecae Magicae.

Topic author
Pnouthis
Zelator

Greco-Egyptian Magic

Post#1 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:45 am

Any one here got experiences with papyri magic and hermetic magic?

I mean, mostly of people here got some "vibrations" "feelings" I respect that as for many people is something big, but anyone really got some more vision, contact and results with this greco-egyptian magic specially with deities?

Thanks for any information.

Here is some deity work at is best. (I know that for that kind of power is needed temple to deity manifest to full potential but maybe someone experiment more in this area of magic)

An Excerpt from the Letter of Thessalos to Caesar Augustus

Thus I arrived at Diospolis, the most ancient capital of Egypt, which posses a host of temples; and there I established myself. [Thessalos lives with the priests a while, and convinces one to do magic for him.] The priest asked if I wanted to talk with the ghost of a dead man or with a god. ‘With Asklepios’ I told him, adding that he would crown his kindness if he let me converse with the god on my own. He agreed without pleasure, as I could tell clearly from his face, but at least he promised. Then he shut me in the chamber, bade me sit down opposite the throne where the god would take his seat, and invoked Asklepios, thanks to the virtue of mysterious words. After that he hurried out, locking the door with a key. And there I was sdeated, annihilated in body and soul at the sight of so wonderful a thing – for no human word could render the features that face or the splendours of the ornaments that set it off – when the god, lifting his right hand, saluted me thus.

:)
Spirituality is not something you do. If you stop all of your nonsense, you are spiritual. Spirituality is ultimate sense.

travsha
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

Re: Greco-Egyptian Magic

Post#2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:11 pm

I've done this type of work before. A lot of people here practice Hermetic magic in some form or other. What are you trying to figure out specifically, because your post was kinda like "tell me about hermetic magick" which is way too general to give you good info. Are you looking for books? Is a certain skill you are having difficulty with? What are you looking for specifically?

Also - if you havent yet, read the Emerald Tablet and Corpus Hermetica.
Life is a continuous string of miracles =)
http://www.soulremedy.org

Topic author
Pnouthis
Zelator

Post#3 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:47 pm

I got understanding in scriptures as for years I would say academic research before practice in the astrology, alchemy, etc. but I'm looking for grimoire-like recipes for invoking various deity work out something with them. I know some people can keep that in secret of personal I respect that and understand because of subtle essence of this work but maybe someone will understand struggle and can share this or that.

I looking for examples like Greek Magical Papyri, maybe some others papirus with grimore-like recipes to work out this.

also if someone got maybe better understanding of these kind of working can shed light upon me as these kind of things are not as that pragmatic as grimoires.

Thanks for anything anyway.

:bow
Spirituality is not something you do. If you stop all of your nonsense, you are spiritual. Spirituality is ultimate sense.

travsha
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

Post#4 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:00 pm

I dont use recipes, so I cant help you much there, except to say that they arent necessary. In my experience, they work the same way as the rest of the spirits - offer them something back, show interest, meet them half-way, and build a personal relationship.

Are the Greek Papyri in English? Or is your problem that they arent translated? Why do you need a recipe? There is lots of info around about what the different deities act like, and what they prefer - seems like there is more then enough info to cook up your own recipe......

Topic author
Pnouthis
Zelator

Post#5 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:08 pm

I don't think magic work like that, you can't just try randomly mix things and guess "will it work?" because that can be last method your use in this life.

but anyway thanks for you tips. :)

Mullerornis
Philosophus

Post#6 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:19 pm

I just did some divinatory work with the Hebdomad, though not much more than that.

Once I have enough resources, I will try the following theurgic exercises:

http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~mclennan/BA/ETP/V.html

Topic author
Pnouthis
Zelator

Post#7 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks Muller.

travsha
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

Post#8 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:33 pm

Pnouthis wrote:I don't think magic work like that, you can't just try randomly mix things and guess "will it work?" because that can be last method your use in this life.

but anyway thanks for you tips. :)

I don't guess. Once you know how to work with spirits and build personal relationships with them, you dont need someone elses recipe.

Topic author
Pnouthis
Zelator

Post#9 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:09 pm

I agree with you, but I'm don't know so I ask.

:bow

WhiteRaven
Adeptus Exemptus

Post#10 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:30 pm

If you are interested in working with Greek or Egyptian deities, I would recommend going with Greek first. Egyptian deities are extremely stern and intense beings that have very bland personalities. Their company, although educational, will not be enjoyable! ....at least that's my opinion through experience. Don't ever forget to thank Greek deities however! If you're familiar with the mythology, many people suffered terrible fates for forgetting to thank a Greek deity! They're very generous, but they absolutely hate when people are unappreciative. Don't forget, the papyri were written by people who worshipped these deities and gave offerings. They didn't just do rituals commanding them and call it a day.

I've read some of the papyri and I would suggest taking from it only the general idea as to how to approach and work with these deities, and not as an instruction booklet. Most higher beings are more agreeable when you take the time and effort to approach them in a way they were approached by the magick practioners during the period of history when they were most popular.
[Thoth] contrived...for Cronus the ensign of his royal power, having four eyes...and upon the shoulders four wings...But for the other gods there were two wings only to each upon his shoulders, to intimate that they flew under the control of Cronus.