Hermetic Magic

Syncretic Egyptian / Graeco-Roman magic from the collection of texts known as the Papyri Graecae Magicae.

Topic author
BaiLung

Re: Hermetic Magic

Post#11 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:04 pm

AEternitas, I'm starting to like you more and more. :D

Hermetic Magic wasn't my first book on the topic, but it was one of the best. Agrippa, Regardie, Mathers - I had read a bit on Hermeticism, but mainly on the GD style. Flowers expanded my horizons in the field - namely by illustrating how all the different streams blending to form Hermeticism as we know it. It sort of was the text that got me to finally "think outside the box" as it were. That aside, I have read the PGM... but what is the Leiden Papyrus? And who wrote Ancient Egyptian Magic and Divination? I'm interested in these texts now. :)

MagiAwen
Adeptus Major

Post#12 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:36 pm

Last edited by MagiAwen on Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live lightly.

Seavel
Practicus

Post#13 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:43 am

Soda is something different than natron, Flowers misleads the reader. Natron can be bought only in Egypt.

Topic author
AEternitas

Post#14 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:32 pm

Natron is a naturally occurring mixture of sodium bicarbonate decahydrate with about 17% sodium carbonate.

So, if one mixes soda ash or washing soda with about 17% baking soda you have Natron.

Sheesh.

nipha333
Philosophus

Post#15 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:47 am

[conjures long dead thread with badass nekromancy]

I use the stoicheia in my practice very heavily, as I prefer it as a sound and structure system over "kabbalah", as well as a way of building words etc.

And in my experience (subjective of course) I have to disagree with flowers choice of which elemental attributions to run with. The one he chooses not to print makes much more sense, and seems to work better.

I would like to share an impression I had on reading his work. When I first read Hermetic Magic, I had just finished his Lords of the Left Hand Path, and something he said there about intentional blinds in magickal literature to test the reader, and in other places, coupled with the fact that he had proven himself to be a bit deeper thinker than someone who would follow the standard his choice follows. He gives a perfectly sound argument for why the elements are attributed to which letters, then mentions another system that follows no logic, and then summarily states that he is going to use the illogical form in the provided charts, and in his examples of using the attributions to inform voces magicae. To me this immediately leapt out at me as an intentional mistake he expects an analytical reader to grasp.

Anyway, for anyone that uses the stoicheia, heres a nice color coded chart that i made for myself a long time ago in PDF so you can copy paste (when i was unfamiliar with the letter correlation of greek fonts i did quite a bit of that).
https://www.mediafire.com/file/bzi97516 ... lables.pdf
'Goetic Magic … if properly understood would regenerate Western magic and underline its immense cultural significance, on a level equal to any spiritual tradition in the world.' -JSK

nipha333
Philosophus

Post#16 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:45 pm

AEternitas wrote:Natron is a naturally occurring mixture of sodium bicarbonate decahydrate with about 17% sodium carbonate.

So, if one mixes soda ash or washing soda with about 17% baking soda you have Natron.

Sheesh.

but if you dont take a wiccan flying carpet uber to egypt to get the ingredients youre not a REAL magician.
'Goetic Magic … if properly understood would regenerate Western magic and underline its immense cultural significance, on a level equal to any spiritual tradition in the world.' -JSK