Headless Rite: an Invitation to the Members of Studio Arcanis

Syncretic Egyptian / Graeco-Roman magic from the collection of texts known as the Papyri Graecae Magicae.

Topic author
Silenciumetaurum
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

Re: Headless Rite: an Invitation to the Members of Studio Arcanis

Post#11 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:51 am

It's great to see that some here are interested in participating. For timing purposes, a consideration that is not absolutely essential given the sigil, but still of interest, I will be performing the rite on 11 August 2018. I may post more about this as I prepare and will be posting a reflection here sometime afterward. Any and all are invited to do the same if they feel inspired to share. :D
Aradia: Letters from the Dark Moon

If something is hard, do it more. Don't run away.

Frater_Raziel
Zelator

Post#12 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:01 pm

I do Polyphanes's translation of the rite Daily along with my evening prayers, so I think I can do this.
MAIORES SERVATE NOS
Lucretia (she/it)

Wanderer
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

Post#13 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:20 pm

Dude, this is hysterical! I started doing the Headless Rite every day as of last week! (Saturday, I think) :lol:

Evidently, we're synching up, as I hadn't seen this post till today!

Bumper
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

Post#14 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:24 pm

Wanderer wrote:Dude, this is hysterical! I started doing the Headless Rite every day as of last week! (Saturday, I think) :lol:

And me a few days before you... this is getting a little weird.
Your mileage may vary - and that's ok

Wanderer
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

Post#15 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:31 pm

Bumper wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Dude, this is hysterical! I started doing the Headless Rite every day as of last week! (Saturday, I think) :lol:

And me a few days before you... this is getting a little weird.

More than a lil weird, but hey, that's one of the awesome things about magic! :D

Topic author
Silenciumetaurum
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

Post#16 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:24 am

:D

I'm not surprised at all, given the concept of SA both as a magical community of individuals and as a singularity in itself. Heh.

Topic author
Silenciumetaurum
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

Post#17 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:35 am

Silenciumetaurum wrote::D

I'm not surprised at all, given the concept of SA both as a magical community of individuals and as a singularity in itself. Heh.

Edit: something I proposed earlier: "But if I'm right, we will eventually see interesting things taking place here in these forums, right before our eyes. And that is something compelling enough to make me want to run the experiment." I don't want to get too far out in terms of retroactive causality here, but this seems like it already qualifies as an "interesting thing" taking place as a result of this ritual. If we buy into the idea that a ritual begins with the planning phase and not just at the physical performance, then we're already engaged in something. In fact, there are ongoing physical performances of the Rite here already taking place . . . Definitely food for thought. :twisted:

Frater137
Practicus

Post#18 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:58 am

Hey all,

I did the rite early yesterday morning around 1am but didn't trace the sigil out, which I will be doing today.

I've been going back and forth with myself about doing the rite on a weekly or daily basis and since others are doing it daily I will toss my hat in that ring.

Provenant
Dominus
Dominus

Post#19 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:35 pm

Out of curiosity, what do you see the sigil doing? :thinking
Cheers,

Prov

=============
Ars non Fortuna

Topic author
Silenciumetaurum
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

Post#20 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:59 am

Provenant wrote:Out of curiosity, what do you see the sigil doing? :thinking

It's part of an experiment to push the boundaries of what this rite can traditionally do. This is traditionally a very individualistic initiatory rite, but one of the questions I'm interested in answering is whether its scope can be widened to encompass a group. The sigil functions as kind of a central touchpoint for all the asynchronous and geographically disparate versions of this working, drawing together some of the "energies" or "ripples" that seem to emanate whenever it's performed. I talk about this a little more, earlier in this thread.

In some ways, just having this thread on the forums and talking about it does the same work. Over the years, I've noticed that the attention and energy going into having a conversation here about a particular magical working tend to encourage synchronicities and shared signs / effects in the lives of those who've done the work. Wanderer has already pointed something like this out, but I've seen it happen here before.

In a broader sense, I'm asking three questions: (1) how can intent be used to alter the scope (and therefore the meaning) of a magical working? (2) Can a group working be used to foster and reinforce a sense of magical community and what are the energetic dynamics that might come into play? And (3) can "modern meta-magic" (i.e. magic worked on magic via a sigil) be used to reframe and direct a powerful ancient working (in this case something from the PGM)?

These are questions that have arisen partly in retrospect from my magical journaling and partly from seeing what people say here about their magical work. As I mention earlier, I think there is a lot of latent talent and power here that could really accomplish amazing breakthroughs (or maybe just blow our minds with more exotic forms of UPG—which of course remains to be seen) if we felt inclined to come together as practitioners. So another, more subtle, question I'm asking to everyone (not just in terms of this particular working) is what can we create together?