The Bornless Ritual & The Holy Guardian Angel

Syncretic Egyptian / Graeco-Roman magic from the collection of texts known as the Papyri Graecae Magicae.

nipha333
Philosophus

Re: The Bornless Ritual & The Holy Guardian Angel

Post#41 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:55 pm

Astar_Mundi wrote:
nipha333 wrote:
Magister C wrote:
The Victorian era would have been a difficult time for a free thinker to have been born into, Crowley's life was marred from a young age with the perverted misery of the gospels and its sanctimonious indoctrination, imagine having to deconstruct the oppressive edifice of these mores in those times?

I definitely understand that it was not a matter of who gives a shit Ill make it up, and mostly circumstantial. It is impossible to imagine his upbringing for me, as I was raised by a weed growing deadhead who to this day refuses to wear socks and shoes lol. I also had a very involved grandmother who was a bibliophile to the extreme, so where he had drawbacks, I have had benefits. I do have a high level of respect for him despite the blurring of thelema with his kabbalistic rambles as you called them.

Magister C wrote:

He was often LHP in the way he lived, and then he would absorb his consciousness into Samadhi as well, I don't think he could ever figure out where he truly stood on this. Even his essay in Magick Without Tears' is not as clear cut as people believe.

I feel like the confusion here is compounded by the fact that Crowley himself wasnt clear on what left or right consisted of. Then this confusion about which thelema is is further compounded by the fact that the Crowley section in the one reasonable exposition on the matter, Flowers Lords of the Left Hand Path is kind of superficial and one can tell pretty quickly that as knowledgable as Flowers may be he has never actually worked crowleys system, but only read it.

Flowers is a Sethian, most of Lords of the Left Hand Path, which is an excellent book, is biased towards that particular branch of LHP thought.

Ergo, I would not expect Flowers to be a Thelemite of any degree- why would he? He already has his own path.

Well I dont expect him to be a thelemite. My point is simply that he makes a lot of general statements about crowleys system that arent necessarily true. And his perspective on crowley is based on a very limited reading of the material. Coming from a decade of vigorously working and studying the thelemic part of crowleys work and the system it presents, my conclusion is that it is essentially setian in nature, and the perceived contradictions between basic setian thought and basic thelemic thought are come by via crowleys confusion and blindspots, not the thelemic material itself. I mean Liber AL screams setian philosophy at the top of its lungs. Liber A'Ash screams the god creation aspect in The Book of Knowing the Spiral Force of Ra and the Slaying of Apep. The "become a star" motif screams "The Tale of Two Brothers" .. The ritual that dragged crowley into the receiving of Liber AL is setian. Etc. Etc.

Actually I would go so far as to say that the core thelemic material is more Setian than some of the absurdity that Temple of Set members have tossed into the world, Like the book Apophis from micheal kelly.
Last edited by nipha333 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Goetic Magic … if properly understood would regenerate Western magic and underline its immense cultural significance, on a level equal to any spiritual tradition in the world.' -JSK

nipha333
Philosophus

Post#42 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:01 pm

Astar_Mundi wrote:That's the thing. Nowadays, most youth live LHP lifestyles without ever calling it such. Younger female friends of mine and males too, yet in Crowley's day it was extremely outlandish and whilst I would laugh at such "Black Masses" the like of which are engaged upon every Monday, Tuesday and boring workaday week I know of, orgiastic in their limitless hedonism without ever the thought of a taboo - nay, now it is mere banal occurence :lol:

he was as stifled by his environment and reactionary to his times as anyone else is, yet he was too proud and arrogant (traits I admire btw) to admit that his great personality could ever be influenced by an external force.

He perhaps was not suited to the LHP because of his natural inclinations, however.
It's an interesting case, a new biographer of Crowley, if they ever did appear, would be fascinating if they explored such a concept.

When "most" people are doing it, it ceases to be antinomian.
I would say at the end of the day crowley was absolutely LHP, and I would also say that the mindless worship of him, which takes in his mistakes and even his jackass moments as some kind of holy writ, have already essentially deified him in the hero cult tradition.
Last edited by nipha333 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Goetic Magic … if properly understood would regenerate Western magic and underline its immense cultural significance, on a level equal to any spiritual tradition in the world.' -JSK

nipha333
Philosophus

Post#43 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:06 pm

Listener wrote:I did a little digging around and found some interesting similarities between the Headless Ritual and the ancient protective incantations that were designed to summon and direct the ancient Mesopotamian demon Pazuzu. The structure of the incantation shares the switching perspective, going from 1st person perspective to the 2nd person singular and 3rd person:

"I am Pazuzu, the son of Hanbu, king of the evil lilu-demons.
I ascended the mighty mountains that quaked.
The winds that I went amongst were headed towards the west.
One by one I broke their wings."

Then:

"You, mighty one, who ascends the mountains,
Who faces all the winds,
Angry wind, who's rising is terrible,
Fierce one, raging one, who comes on furiously,
Who roars at the world regions, who wrecks the high mountains,
Who parches the marshland, who withers its reeds.

He confronted the wood, dropped its trees,
He passed to the garden, dropped down its fruit,
He descended to the river, poured out ice,
He went up the the dry land, covered it with hoarfrost,
He struck the young man, hunched him over,
He knocked the young woman, hit her womb,
He descended to the river, poured out ice,
He went up to the dry land, covered it with hoarfrost.

Agony of mankind, disease of mankind, suffering of mankind,
Do not enter the house I enter, do not come near the house I come near, do not approach the house I approach!
Be conjured and stay conjured by Anu and Antu, Enlil and Ninlil, Ea and Damkina, heaven and earth!"

Interestingly, Pazuzu was used as an apotropaion against demons and was also used to give authority to the exorcist, as Pazuzu was considered the king of the demons.

I am not suggesting that the headless one IS Pazuzu, only that it seems that the method of action between these two entities is too similar to be coincidental. Is it possible that the headless one could be some sort of dark god/demon that has prescribed authority over evil spirits?

YEP. Even more reason to identify it with Typhon and not Osiris.
Last edited by nipha333 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raum215
Magister Templi

Post#44 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:53 pm

The Egyptian modelling is hardly the best to apply this.

It is part of the trappings of the Golden Dawn that were assimilated into Thelema.

Heru-Ra-Ha is the Horus of the Two Horizons.

It is Ra-Hoor-Khuit and Hoor-Pa-Kraat.

Set is a servant of him.

Ra-Hoor-Khuit is the fulfillment of Ra in the children of his children, and their children. He is not Osiris, nor Set. He wears both crowns.

Set is in the bark of Ra, vindicated as he was being carried to isolation in the Tuat, drawing his bolt standing firm against Apep, he became protector of the ways.

Osiris is in the Dead, but he is NOT the father of Horus.
The phallus was never found by Isis, you see?
Set's phallus was ripped from him as well, you see?
Heru's eye was plucked so Ra may watch from the Socket.

The double wanded Hrumachis, Heru Mysis, holds both of the Phalli of Set and Osiris, the keys of Hell and Death.
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I YHVH do all these things.

nipha333
Philosophus

Post#45 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:26 pm

raum215 wrote:The Egyptian modelling is hardly the best to apply this.

It is part of the trappings of the Golden Dawn that were assimilated into Thelema.

Heru-Ra-Ha is the Horus of the Two Horizons.

It is Ra-Hoor-Khuit and Hoor-Pa-Kraat.

Set is a servant of him.

Ra-Hoor-Khuit is the fulfillment of Ra in the children of his children, and their children. He is not Osiris, nor Set. He wears both crowns.

Set is in the bark of Ra, vindicated as he was being carried to isolation in the Tuat, drawing his bolt standing firm against Apep, he became protector of the ways.

Osiris is in the Dead, but he is NOT the father of Horus.
The phallus was never found by Isis, you see?
Set's phallus was ripped from him as well, you see?
Heru's eye was plucked so Ra may watch from the Socket.

The double wanded Hrumachis, Heru Mysis, holds both of the Phalli of Set and Osiris, the keys of Hell and Death.

Who said Ra Hoor Khuit is set or osiris? I also never identified osiris as the father of horus.

Thelema is essentially egyptian, regardless of what the golden dawn thought they knew about the subject. Like Ive said many times, the golden dawns teaching is part of what prevented crowley from seeing thelema fully.

My ideas on ra horakhty and set, are laid out more or less in the pdf i posted. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16272&p=178927#p178927

Also, I am a very big fan of UPG and syncretism when used in a coherent way. It is as important in my eyes to know previous mythology, as to develop ones own. Im definitely not a reconstructionist. There is no one ancient belief set that fits the psychology of a human being in 2017. I very much subscribe to the idea that once you hit a certain point, a magician needs to come to their own subjective synthesis and build their own mythology that works for them. In my opinion the key to any one persons system is the internal logic. This is why for example in the pdf i mentioned above i use the phrasing "it is to be understood" rather than "egypt says"

Nashimiron
Adeptus Minor

Post#46 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:14 am

It's funny, in some systems the Magician in Tarot represents amongst other things, clear direct sight and true comprehension. Yet in real life magicians can spend 5 pages on an internet forum discussing the identity of a deity addressed directly in the ritual in question as "Osoronnophris" and "Iabas" and "Iapos". But who cares what the text of the ritual says? The true Magus sees the "blinds" and reads with his eyes closed.

:ugeek:

Ps. How do I apply to have access to the Uber-Uber-Geek smiley face?

nipha333
Philosophus

Post#47 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:34 pm

Nashimiron wrote:It's funny, in some systems the Magician in Tarot represents amongst other things, clear direct sight and true comprehension. Yet in real life magicians can spend 5 pages on an internet forum discussing the identity of a deity addressed directly in the ritual in question as "Osoronnophris" and "Iabas" and "Iapos". But who cares what the text of the ritual says? The true Magus sees the "blinds" and reads with his eyes closed.

The names of osiris are all over the place in the papyri. Most of the places it is found, have no correlation to osirian ideas or the mythology, aside from a moniker for the dead. This ritual is a perfect example. The true magician doesnt need to worry about blinds or how they read, they need to worry about experience. Experience of most people including the obvious Crowley who work this ritual extensively shows that it is Setian in nature and does not concern Osiris. If we are going to take your approach then we also have to accept that the magician is a prophet of the jewish faith. Since as you said, it clearly says so in the text. Shit it even mentions a country that didnt even exist when it was written? So clearly this is a secret initiation ritual for the massad.
Its not quite that easy. Anyone reading with their eyes closed can say oh hey DERP guys it says "osor" no doubt here this is osirian through and through! But the results the ritual gives, and the underlying philosophy, which i mentioned above concerning the gnostic ideas of Setheus and the creation of Aeons.. says it is not an osiris ritual. Again reading with eyes closed as you said would probably be the only way you can miss the Typhonic names in the voces magikae of the text or the name abrasax. Or the fact that nothing other than a name that doesnt fit indicates osiris or the ideas of his mythology in any way.

Magister C
Philosophus

Post#48 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:51 pm

There are a number of varying stories about the baby Horus, and the adult Horus, indeed, if your looking for consistency in the mythologies to fit your narrative or bias, you are merely stating an opinion about, well, mythology.

If we wait long enough, I'm sure we will see comments about Osiris being Transgender, after all he did fine without a penis. :twisted

Astar_Mundi
Magister Templi

Post#49 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:45 am

Nashimiron wrote:It's funny, in some systems the Magician in Tarot represents amongst other things, clear direct sight and true comprehension. Yet in real life magicians can spend 5 pages on an internet forum discussing the identity of a deity addressed directly in the ritual in question as "Osoronnophris" and "Iabas" and "Iapos". But who cares what the text of the ritual says? The true Magus sees the "blinds" and reads with his eyes closed.

Then how would occult authors spin their extremely dubious syncretisms between totally different gods and therefore conjure out of thin air (as if by magic) their own original book topics?

That's the funny thing about gods in the occult, everyone seems to be everyone else at some point or another!
Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est

Wholesome Adept Extraordinaire

Astar_Mundi
Magister Templi

Post#50 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:47 am

Magister C wrote:There are a number of varying stories about the baby Horus, and the adult Horus, indeed, if your looking for consistency in the mythologies to fit your narrative or bias, you are merely stating an opinion about, well, mythology.

If we wait long enough, I'm sure we will see comments about Osiris being Transgender, after all he did fine without a penis. :twisted

Coming up soon by new random Occult author: How every God is actually just me the author, due to a lengthy list of pedantic semantic word etymologies and name similarities lost in translation from 3000 years ago!
Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est

Wholesome Adept Extraordinaire