The Bornless Ritual & The Holy Guardian Angel

Syncretic Egyptian / Graeco-Roman magic from the collection of texts known as the Papyri Graecae Magicae.

Topic author
KiaDasVega
Neophyte

The Bornless Ritual & The Holy Guardian Angel

Post#1 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:04 pm

I've begun working The Bornless Ritual into my daily ritual routine. I perform the LBRP, the Middle Pillar Exercise, meditate for about fifteen minutes, throw down some tarot cards and then begin reciting the Bornless Ritual. I'm still working on memorizing it (it's longer than my usual rituals) and I'm sure that I'm getting some of these pronunciations wrong but I have felt a power and a presence in the wake of the ritual. I'm kind of hoping to compare notes here.

I suspect that what I'm pulling into my ritual space is my HGA. The feeling that this presence brings is something that I have a hard time describing. It makes me uneasy. I'm not scared by it so much as it feels profoundly alien, as though it's definitely not *from here*. There's no threat and it doesn't reach out and give me any sort of message. I'm simply aware of its presence in the ritual space.

I'm interested in your particular experiences with this ritual.
Magicae factus sum per totum

Avathar behemoth
Adeptus Major

Re: The Bornless Ritual & The Holy Guardian Angel

Post#2 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:59 pm

So how do you know you are NOT pulling your HGA in your ritual space? Do you feel an overwhelming feeling of love (to be specific Agape)? If you do not.. and you should know this... you are NOT communicating with your HGA.

It really is that simple.

Moonlit Hermit
Adeptus Exemptus

Post#3 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:06 pm

If you are calling it the Bornless Ritual then it indicates you are pulling from Crowley or a descendant of Crowley. If you aren't aware it is a ritual from the Greek Magical Papyri, PGM V lines 96-172, and it is called the Headless Ritual. And, in my opinion it is calling just that, a spirit represented as a person with nothing above the shoulders. It is indeed a powerful rite from the time of Ptolemaic Egypt (300 BCE). I don't know about Holy Guardian Angel but I have used it as an empowering invocation leading into other spirit work.
Meegius, Betzahuach, Vacdez, Nufeneguidez
http://moonlithermit.blogspot.com/

Simha
Philosophus

Post#4 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:53 pm

I have performed the Headless Rite as described in Gordon White's The Chaos Protocols. He adds Stratton-Kent's invocation of the Four Kings at the end of the Headless Rite. I wholeheartedly recommend the book for the chapter that he had the ritual in (not to mention that the book has a lot of great stuff in it and is entertaining to boot) and what he says about calling it the Headless Rite as opposed to the Crowley version.

raum215
Magister Templi

Post#5 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:21 pm

Akephalon "ak-eh-fay-lawn" is easy enough to say there is no reason to try and figure it out.

If you conjure him by his name and then reinforce that with what he is called, by whom and to what end, say why he is called, and you will soon realize the lack of one meaning is part of his state.

But not one word in any language I have studied has one fixed meaning with no other context... and I have made a lifetime of studying languages and how they are developed.
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I YHVH do all these things.

Avathar behemoth
Adeptus Major

Post#6 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:07 pm

a keph alon would be without head (or he without head. kephe is head in greek)
hey Raum you wrote something very vey cryptic, could you restate it in somewhat more comprehensible terms?
"If you conjure him by his name and then reinforce that with what he is called, by whom and to what end, say why he is called, and you will soon realize the lack of one meaning is part of his state."

I have no idea what that means.

My thoughts at first are. A man without a head is just the animal nature of man. Since he cant think, right.

Moonlit Hermit
Adeptus Exemptus

Post#7 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:02 am

Avathar behemoth wrote:a keph alon would be without head (or he without head. kephe is head in greek)
hey Raum you wrote something very vey cryptic, could you restate it in somewhat more comprehensible terms?
"If you conjure him by his name and then reinforce that with what he is called, by whom and to what end, say why he is called, and you will soon realize the lack of one meaning is part of his state."

I have no idea what that means.

My thoughts at first are. A man without a head is just the animal nature of man. Since he cant think, right.

I too was a bit confused by this statement but I've been thinking about it and I'll try to take a stab at trying to parse it out.

"...conjure him by his name..." This seems pretty straight forward, calling the Headless One as Akephelon. I admit that in all the time I've recited the Headless Rite I never referred to him as Akephelon, perhaps it is time for me to start.
"...reinforce that with what he is called..." This, I think, is a reference to visualization, reinforce the name with knowing and seeing the spirit as headless. It could also be a reference to his "name is a heart encircled by a serpent".
"...by whom and to what end, say why he is called..." The magician and the intent stated explicitly.
"...the lack of one meaning is part of his state..." This is cryptic, I agree. Once upon a time it was considered that the heart, not the brain, was the seat of the soul and intelligence. Akephelon lacks a head yet in the rite it is said that his mouth burns completely. How can one not have a head yet have a mouth? It is, of course, symbolic. I submit that the lack of a head separates the spirit from the mundane world and suggests it transcends all the levels of existence. To have a head is to have identity and sense organs that make one nearly human. One that lives without a head is unencumbered by most of the physical senses (sight, hearing, smell, taste) and perhaps some of the more subtle senses as well. Yet we know he has some of these senses which, it seems to me, means he gathers this information in another way.

Or maybe I'm way off track. I'll keep thinking about it.
Meegius, Betzahuach, Vacdez, Nufeneguidez
http://moonlithermit.blogspot.com/

Pablo
Magister Templi

Post#8 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:40 am

Moonlit Hermit wrote:If you are calling it the Bornless Ritual then it indicates you are pulling from Crowley or a descendant of Crowley. If you aren't aware it is a ritual from the Greek Magical Papyri, PGM V lines 96-172, and it is called the Headless Ritual. And, in my opinion it is calling just that, a spirit represented as a person with nothing above the shoulders. It is indeed a powerful rite from the time of Ptolemaic Egypt (300 BCE). I don't know about Holy Guardian Angel but I have used it as an empowering invocation leading into other spirit work.

All true!

SO exactly what is being called in the first place. it seems to be a positive spirit but was it intended to contact the HGA. Now what of Crowley's work bornless ritual was it his intention to summon his HGA?

What is OP's intention does HE want to use it to summon his HGA?

One possible negative piece of the jigsaw is that the HGA lives in the head in the ATRs. So what does this mean for the original ritual. anyway this has been discussed in other threads.
The vulgar is at everyone's command. Eirenaeus Philalethes - The marrow of Alchemy

raum215
Magister Templi

Post#9 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:14 pm

Here are just a few possible meanings of the term if it is meant to be translated, from Ah-keph-eh-lawn:

Headless
Family-less (or Bornless, if you will)
Directionless
Beheaded
Disowned
Lost

Basically, it does not say if this is an original state or if it is something that was one there and is now missing.

Born without a head, or decapitated?
Has never had a figurehead, or was it lost?

But none of that matters unless it is magically viable. I do not need to translate it for it to be magically viable.

What I meant is simple, it is assumed, not explicit in the text, that this is meant to be translated. This text is full of barbarous words, some which seem to be able to translate and some which do not. I do not make assumptions that this name is any different.

In general, a proper noun has value in assignment, not translation. What Akephalon does is more important than why this term is used to describe what Akephalon is.

Enter a passage like this in your conjuration,..

"Called Bornless by those aspiring to knowledge and Conversation by the formula of To Mega Therion -
AKEPHALON

Called Headless by those who seek the mystery of his name in the echos of The Golden Language of Greece- AKEPHALON"

When you are calling Akephalon (which I pronounce differently than what it would be as "Headless", "Bornless", or any other variant), you are not just calling on what one writer assumes.

Epithets are not always literal, and Greek is FULL of them. In my experience, all languages are. Worse off is Akephalon could by Greek creation of epithet be one who *leaves others headless* instead of being headless itself. Look for example at the debatable etymology of Achilles.

And which head, dual meaning of Greek words, especiall from Golden Age lingusitics is a must, but a lot of words have many more meanings.

At least one use of this word cognates to water with an unknown source. Another refers to castration. Another refers to one who rejects authority.

Words simply did not have concrete meanings. But what is clear is this word was a TITLE, a proper noun.

Translation of proper nouns is not required, and often not even useful, in Magick. In fact, it can be downright detrimental.
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I YHVH do all these things.

WolfAmongSheep
Philosophus

Post#10 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:25 pm

I did the full ritual that Regardie recorded for about a week. On day two, I noticed I was crabby. Day three I was pretty cantankerous. Day four I was angry without any sort of cause. Day five I was rage walking on two legs. I was starting to pick fights with people. On day six I was one smart ass comment away from murder, so I quit doing the ritual. I called my work and told them I needed a few days off, then locked myself in the house and didn't leave for three days. I asked some other people about it and they had similar experiences to varying degrees (including a few that were worse by day three), or were perfectly fine. I have tried the condensed version in NAP, without the same issues, so I am not sure what it is in the full invocation that was making me want to snap. I haven't revisited the full version again, as I don't need to be foaming at the mouth on my boss or one of my patients.
Of the Seven Deadly Sins, Lust is definitely the pick of the litter ~ Anon