Papyri Graecae Magicae PGM I. 1-42

Syncretic Egyptian / Graeco-Roman magic from the collection of texts known as the Papyri Graecae Magicae.
User avatar

Topic author
Pyronox
Practicus
Posts: 216

Papyri Graecae Magicae PGM I. 1-42

Post#1 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:28 am

Has anyone performed the very first spell in the Greek Magical Papyri as per the book edited by Hans Dieter Betz, 1986? The one with the daimon, the falcon, the milk and honey and embalming the falcon, and making the shrine...

Is it simply an evocation? A ritual for creating a shrine?
What is its purpose?
Did you do it 'by the book'?
What happened? What were the effects?

I was inspired to look into Elubatel and Angels of Omnipotence as I am going through some magical changes, and ended up sifting through the Greek Magical Papyri and realised that this spell is even before the one for Acquiring a Supernatural Assistant, 'this most powerful assistant', 'who is also the only lord of the air', 'for without him/ nothing happens.'

Now I have performed neither of those, but I wouldn't say I am an armchair magician, as I have been initiated in the Arts (without realising it for some years) at 9 years old, and have been constantly returning to them ever since.

So, what's your take on them? I don't really understand why I find it difficult to wrap my head around it.
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted. Like, really. Also, the meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything? 42. And experience. Yeah. That's it.

User avatar

NonServiam
Neophyte
Posts: 7

Re: Papyri Graecae Magicae PGM I. 1-42

Post#2 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:15 pm

There's a chapter in that Holy Guardian Angel book from nephilim press about this, arguing that it's a sort of K&C HGA ritual.

User avatar

Astar_Mundi
Magister Templi
Posts: 5183

Re: Papyri Graecae Magicae PGM I. 1-42

Post#3 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:13 am

Pyronox wrote:Has anyone performed the very first spell in the Greek Magical Papyri as per the book edited by Hans Dieter Betz, 1986? The one with the daimon, the falcon, the milk and honey and embalming the falcon, and making the shrine...

Is it simply an evocation? A ritual for creating a shrine?
What is its purpose?
Did you do it 'by the book'?
What happened? What were the effects?

I was inspired to look into Elubatel and Angels of Omnipotence as I am going through some magical changes, and ended up sifting through the Greek Magical Papyri and realised that this spell is even before the one for Acquiring a Supernatural Assistant, 'this most powerful assistant', 'who is also the only lord of the air', 'for without him/ nothing happens.'

Now I have performed neither of those, but I wouldn't say I am an armchair magician, as I have been initiated in the Arts (without realising it for some years) at 9 years old, and have been constantly returning to them ever since.

So, what's your take on them? I don't really understand why I find it difficult to wrap my head around it.




No haven't done it.

Can anyone confirm if the Supernatural Assistant can bring you coffees on command? Because that is really what I'm looking for in an assistant. And possibly doing my shopping, cleaning my house, organising my schedule and meals.
Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est

Wholesome Adept Extraordinaire

User avatar

Astar_Mundi
Magister Templi
Posts: 5183

Re: Papyri Graecae Magicae PGM I. 1-42

Post#4 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:14 am

That's my test. If my random friend can be more easily compelled to carry out the task of bringing me coffee than the MA, then it's no go.
Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est

Wholesome Adept Extraordinaire

User avatar

Topic author
Pyronox
Practicus
Posts: 216

Re: Papyri Graecae Magicae PGM I. 1-42

Post#5 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:44 am

NonServiam wrote:There's a chapter in that Holy Guardian Angel book from nephilim press about this, arguing that it's a sort of K&C HGA ritual.


Ok cool, I'll Check it out. Thanks, NonServiam!

Astar Mundi, I can't really tell if you're ironic... I find it difficult to understand irony on the internet, as so much of the elements of human communication is eliminated here. But thanks anyway!
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted. Like, really. Also, the meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything? 42. And experience. Yeah. That's it.

User avatar

Astar_Mundi
Magister Templi
Posts: 5183

Re: Papyri Graecae Magicae PGM I. 1-42

Post#6 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:21 am

Pyronox wrote:
NonServiam wrote:There's a chapter in that Holy Guardian Angel book from nephilim press about this, arguing that it's a sort of K&C HGA ritual.


Ok cool, I'll Check it out. Thanks, NonServiam!

Astar Mundi, I can't really tell if you're ironic... I find it difficult to understand irony on the internet, as so much of the elements of human communication is eliminated here. But thanks anyway!


I was indeed being ironic. It's a fair bet more than half a century minus one times two percent of the time.

Whatever you are after just remember that this book is thousands of years old and you may be better off simply making up your own ceremony based off of it.

I doubt in the end it makes a difference, other than in the mind of the magician.
Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est

Wholesome Adept Extraordinaire

User avatar

Topic author
Pyronox
Practicus
Posts: 216

Re: Papyri Graecae Magicae PGM I. 1-42

Post#7 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:48 am

:)) Thanks Astar Mundi. I have, indeed created my own rituals for some time, after having been absorbed in some systems of Ceremonial Magic.
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted. Like, really. Also, the meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything? 42. And experience. Yeah. That's it.

User avatar

Lumpino
Neophyte
Posts: 29

Re: Papyri Graecae Magicae PGM I. 1-42

Post#8 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:03 am

But, in magical papyri is only a part of a practice. I recomed some theoretical books too. For example by Iamblichus: Theurgia, or the Egyptian Mysteries, or by Apuleius, Golden donkey(conclusion the book) and similar. There were two reasons for evocations.
1/Earthly benefit.
2/Next life between gods.

User avatar

dionysiandame
Practicus
Posts: 193
Contact:

Re: Papyri Graecae Magicae PGM I. 1-42

Post#9 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:37 pm

It took me a couple of days but I finally finished creating an adaptation of the ritual that includes most of the attributes while altering a few steps. For example, since I already have a statue representation of Agathodaemon, I will be replacing the falcon from the text with the representation and bathed in the milk and honey as prescribed.

I'm at the step now where I need to purchase a few supplies but until those arrive I can begin the planning phase. I'll be sure to come back and post my experience. I'm interested to see how the shift from a more "votive" practice to active engagement will change the relationship I currently have with it.

I did get a bit of a giggle from seeing "don't have intercourse with a woman." As a straight woman, I could only think "O...kay. Does this mean I can still get laid or?" I understand the celibacy for purification but still...it's a little funny.
Deliriously and Deliberately Mortal
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation
2 Mallards and Thyme: Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Add me on Goodreads!

User avatar

Shatteredzen
Practicus
Posts: 148
Contact:

Re: Papyri Graecae Magicae PGM I. 1-42

Post#10 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:22 pm

Pyronox wrote:Has anyone performed the very first spell in the Greek Magical Papyri as per the book edited by Hans Dieter Betz, 1986? The one with the daimon, the falcon, the milk and honey and embalming the falcon, and making the shrine...

Is it simply an evocation? A ritual for creating a shrine?
What is its purpose?
Did you do it 'by the book'?
What happened? What were the effects?

I was inspired to look into Elubatel and Angels of Omnipotence as I am going through some magical changes, and ended up sifting through the Greek Magical Papyri and realised that this spell is even before the one for Acquiring a Supernatural Assistant, 'this most powerful assistant', 'who is also the only lord of the air', 'for without him/ nothing happens.'

Now I have performed neither of those, but I wouldn't say I am an armchair magician, as I have been initiated in the Arts (without realising it for some years) at 9 years old, and have been constantly returning to them ever since.

So, what's your take on them? I don't really understand why I find it difficult to wrap my head around it.


A quick note/caveat about the PGM, its great, dont get me wrong but think of it as an ancient tumblr blog from many different authors, not a single, coherent system. The beauty of it of course is that you can feel free to cherrypick it or modify stuff as you see fit. Just dont get caught up in thinking its some structured grimoire you need to work exactly or in any order. Its like a copy of these forums, a collection of wisdom with some shit posts thrown in every once inawhile for sport ;)

Return to “Greek Magical Papyri (PGM)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests