Greek Magical Papyrus - great blog

Syncretic Egyptian / Graeco-Roman magic from the collection of texts known as the Papyri Graecae Magicae.

Topic author
Zadok
Practicus

Post#1 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:29 am

I've found a blog that looks excellent for anyone interested in the GMP.

https://cdcruz.wordpress.com

Enjoy

Zadok

Ahzriel
Practicus

Re: Greek Magical Papyrus - great blog

Post#2 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:47 am

Last edited by Ahzriel on Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nashimiron
Adeptus Minor

Post#3 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:34 am

I agree, fantastic blog. He's doing some very important work with the PGM.

Leonardo_Drakon
Practicus

Post#4 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:16 pm

I’m deeply honored that you all have found my work of interest.

When I clicked on the topic I was not expecting to see a link to my blog :)
----------γνῶθι σεαυτόν----------

Topic author
Zadok
Practicus

Post#5 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:13 pm

I loved the post about the Phylactery and the post about the Initiation rite. I had recently read the rite in the Betz book and wondered how it could be done in modern times especially when it says to do it with a mystagogue.

Nahash
Practicus

Post#6 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:26 pm

Just to add to the fact that the blog, and the work done intelectually and magically, is amazing.

That initiation ritual, holy Typhon!
Doing is learning what you need to do

Ahzriel
Practicus

Post#7 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:26 am

@leonardo_drakon in the planetary squares section why do you attribute lamed to 50, in the zohar it is attributed to 30?

Leonardo_Drakon
Practicus

Post#8 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:27 am

Ahzriel wrote:@leonardo_drakon in the planetary squares section why do you attribute lamed to 50, in the zohar it is attributed to 30?

That must be a mistake, nun is 50, lamed is 30. Could you point me to the square where you see this error?

Are you by chance misreading the sum of Nachiel? I’m maintaing the order of the letters (right to left) when summing their numerical value and not rearranging them left to right as is often done in English texts.

נכיאל
30+1+10+20+50 = 111

The values of lamed(30) and nun(50) are then numerically reduced to 3 & 5 in order to produce the sigil of the Intelligence.

Zadok wrote:I loved the post about the Phylactery and the post about the Initiation rite. I had recently read the rite in the Betz book and wondered how it could be done in modern times especially when it says to do it with a mystagogue.

One can still (and probably should) perform the rite with a mystagogue, it would definitely be helpful to have someone who has been through it prepare you. I presume that beside helping wrap up and blindfold the practitioner, the role of the mystagogue would have been to teach the practitioner about the symbolism and principles involved in the rite. I didn't have that luxury. Additionally, if you plan on doing this outside on the roof (as per the original instructions) I would suggest having somebody else present if nothing else for safety and logistics.

Ahzriel
Practicus

Post#9 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:30 pm

Last edited by Ahzriel on Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leonardo_Drakon
Practicus

Post#10 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:24 am

Ahzriel wrote:
i was curious as to whether or not there was another number attribution system i was not aware of.

No, that is definitely a typo. Thank you for pointing that out, it should say Nun not Lamed.