Odd Insights into Hekate

Syncretic Egyptian / Graeco-Roman magic from the collection of texts known as the Papyri Graecae Magicae.

Enchantress
Neophyte

Re: Odd Insights into Hekate

Post#31 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:36 am

Last edited by Enchantress on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Touch not the cat without a glove

The Warlock King
Adeptus Major

Post#32 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:54 am

Sorry, but this isn't true. The emblem on the Turkish flag is typical Muslim symbols, used by a multitude of Muslim countries and organizations since the time of the prophet. (Which of course doesn't mean those symbols haven't occurred in other cultures - they are quite international.) And the modern state of Turkey is a quite recent construction, that was born out of the collapse of the Ottoman Empire, after WWI.

However, if Hekate originally was a Greek goddess or adopted from some of the cultures of Asia Minor can of course be discussed. Personally, I would actually guess on the latter theory. But She have very little to do with the Turks.

:ugeek:

Enchantress
Neophyte

Post#33 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:58 am

Not my view there but the historian and archaeologist.The flag was based on much earlier thing like coinsAlso she has the early link with country Georgia I think.

The Warlock King
Adeptus Major

Post#34 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:02 am

Enchantress wrote:Not my view there but the historian and archaeologist.The flag was based on much earlier thing like coins

This was the emblem displayed on Turkish banners when they sacked Constantinople and put an end to Byzantine Empire. The similarity with that coin is just coincidental...

The Warlock King
Adeptus Major

Post#35 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:05 am

I mean, you can also see the moon and star on European coats of arms. That doesn't make those old knights Muslims or worshippers of Hekate. They are just common symbols, used all over the world, but with different meanings in different times and different cultures...

Pablo
Magister Templi

Post#36 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:10 am

The Warlock King wrote:

Sorry, but this isn't true. The emblem on the Turkish flag is typical Muslim symbols, used by a multitude of Muslim countries and organizations since the time of the prophet. (Which of course doesn't mean those symbols haven't occurred in other cultures - they are quite international.) And the modern state of Turkey is a quite recent construction, that was born out of the collapse of the Ottoman Empire, after WWI.

However, if Hekate originally was a Greek goddess or adopted from some of the cultures of Asia Minor can of course be discussed. Personally, I would actually guess on the latter theory. But She have very little to do with the Turks.

:ugeek:

yes this is my take on Hekate also. However there is also a Greek temple to her I read somewhere. Hesiod is the go to reference for me.
The vulgar is at everyone's command. Eirenaeus Philalethes - The marrow of Alchemy

Enchantress
Neophyte

Post#37 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:12 am

You say she had very little to do with Turks.Then why the Hekate Temples there?Sorry not know to put pic in yet.

The Warlock King
Adeptus Major

Post#38 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:21 am

Enchantress wrote:You say she had very little to do with Turks.Then why the Hekate Temples there?Sorry not know to put pic in yet.

Oh, large parts of what's Turkey today was in the Classical Era inhabited by Greeks. There also lived several other people there (some of them are still there), and some of those cultures, like the Greek, worshipped Hekate. The Turks came to these parts of the world quite late, in the Middle Ages, out of Central Asia.

Sorry, this is nothing personal. I'm just and old über-geek, and this happens to be my main area of expertise... :)

:geek: :ugeek: :geek:

Enchantress
Neophyte

Post#39 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:32 am

No not personal and if you are expert here you will know that the Hecate sanctuary in Lagina is much older than the Hellenistic town of Stratonicea which lies in its vicinity. I think it is that the Greek rebuilt the Temple.
The Seleucid Empire was a major center of Hellenistic culture that maintained the preeminence of Greek customs where a Greek political elite dominated, mostly in the urban areas.
This can help to solve problem.

The Warlock King
Adeptus Major

Post#40 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:43 am

Enchantress wrote:No not personal and if you are expert here you will know that the Hecate sanctuary in Lagina is much older than the Hellenistic town of Stratonicea which lies in its vicinity. I think it is that the Greek rebuilt the Temple.
The Seleucid Empire was a major center of Hellenistic culture that maintained the preeminence of Greek customs where a Greek political elite dominated, mostly in the urban areas.
This can help to solve problem.

Yes, I it seems plausible that Hekate was originally was adopted from outside the main Greek culture sphere. And I agree that Lagina is located in today's Turkey. Still don't make Her Turkish. Probably makes Her a goddess from Asia Minor, yes. But there were no Turks in that area in old times, save perhaps some random visitor.