Odd Insights into Hekate

Syncretic Egyptian / Graeco-Roman magic from the collection of texts known as the Papyri Graecae Magicae.

monsnoleedra
Adeptus Minor

Re: Odd Insights into Hekate

Post#131 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Afraid I can't really touch this one regarding Hekate and Magot / Maguth. Not really into the Demon equations to Hekate as a whole. Sort of like naming the seven demoness who make up the Pleiades group (who were bound by Solomon to build his temple) and saying the 7th one, titled the worst of all being equated to Hecate. The one who makes men worse off than they are and imposes the bonds of Artemis and is bound to / frustrated by a locust.

But honestly I think a lot of the demon to Hecate equations were at the ideals of the group or person(s). Here's an interesting one for example I stumbled across. This presents Hekate as the mother of a particular demon that is being called upon and petitioned.

Salve Ducis Murmux! Agios Murmux Rex Mormolyceae!
[Hail Unto Murmux the Duke! Numinous (is) Murmux, the King over Ghouls]

Murmur Son of Hekate, I Call You Forth,
Ducal Archfiend and Eternal Daemon of Sciomancy
Depart from the Place of Your Dwelling
So that I Might Witness Your Greatness of Power
And Be Directed Aright by Your Clairvoyance and Discretion.
If This Place Has Become the Dwelling of Those Who Essay the Hinderance of My Progress or Would Predate Upon My Spirit, Or if I Have Constructed Egregores Which Would Enact My Detriment Wilfully or Otherwise,
I Ask That You Murder, Devour, Torture, and Slaughter
Each and Every Fucking One of Them.
Upon This Hour, Accept Them or It as My Sacrifice to You.
But if My Sovereignty is Unassailed by Foreign Spirits Tonight, Show Me that I am Safe by Pouring Power Through My Soul to Engender Evolution.
I Thank You Graciously for Your Protection,
Or for the Evolution Which Would Signal My Safety.

Liftoach Pandemonium, Et Germinet Mormo! Agios Murmux Rex Mormolyceae! Mormo Murmux Matthias-Daimon! Vefa Mena Murmur Ayer! Salve Ducis Murmux!
[Open the Infernal Plane, and Bring Forth Mormo! Numinous (is) Murmux the King over Ghouls! (Names of Mormo/Murmux)! (Demonic Enn for Murmur)! Hail Duke Murmux]

As I Have Spoken, So Let it Be Done.

https://vkjehannum.wordpress.com/catego ... ls/page/9/

There's a few interesting examples of Hekate / Hecate usage on the page, including gematria. Of note I neither endorse nor recommend the site simply use it as an example of various usages of Hecate / Hekate in practice. It is up to the individual practitioner / reader to determine the validity of the information or its usefulness to them.
Can't Never Did Nothing Till It Tried!

Chrysophylax
Adeptus Minor

Post#132 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:09 pm

Sources for this idea appear to be limited to those described in Frederic Farrar's "The Life and Work of St. Paul," in which he describes Magos as a title of Artemis of Ephesus. This is assumed to have been adopted, with a typo, by the author of the Grimoire of Honorius, as a title for one of the cardinal rulers of the infernal spirits.

Jeremiah 31:39 speaks of "goatha" as the place later called Golgotha, indicating a place of execution, and this too is suggested as a connection between Hecate and the famous demon rulers.

None of this is my "research," just a conversation imported from elsewhere.

I don't see it, or perhaps have not seen enough of a connection, and to me it looks like Ceremonial magicians wishing for a stronger connection to classical deities. It would be interesting to be shown otherwise, though, and the character of Magoth/Maguth/Magoa is not explicit in the grimoires.

Pleiades
Zelator

Post#133 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:29 pm

Dont forget the author of that site runs "a Hecatean-Qliphothic coven of psychic-vampyric Demonolaters primarily dedicated to Moloch." The format of the rituals are common in the Michael Ford Sabbatic type books that blend darker shades of Wicca with ideas ripped from medieval grimoires and Biblical rooted notions of Satan.Moloch et al.

monsnoleedra
Adeptus Minor

Post#134 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:12 pm

Pleiades wrote:Dont forget the author of that site runs "a Hecatean-Qliphothic coven of psychic-vampyric Demonolaters primarily dedicated to Moloch." The format of the rituals are common in the Michael Ford Sabbatic type books that blend darker shades of Wicca with ideas ripped from medieval grimoires and Biblical rooted notions of Satan.Moloch et al.

Yeah it's one of the satanist / ceremonial / McWicca / biblical slants on Hekate practices. I think there is also a bit of Mark Alan Smith's influence there as well. Not specifically my cup of tea for certain but it has a few interesting concepts tossed in to make it an interesting twist to look at. The gematria aspect is one I don't usually see applied to her.

I find it interesting how they use both spelling's of the name, at times even in the same workings. Haven't really paid close attention to see if they do that in the gematria stuff or not.

monsnoleedra
Adeptus Minor

Post#135 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:34 pm

Chrysophylax wrote:Sources for this idea appear to be limited to those described in Frederic Farrar's "The Life and Work of St. Paul," in which he describes Magos as a title of Artemis of Ephesus. This is assumed to have been adopted, with a typo, by the author of the Grimoire of Honorius, as a title for one of the cardinal rulers of the infernal spirits.

Jeremiah 31:39 speaks of "goatha" as the place later called Golgotha, indicating a place of execution, and this too is suggested as a connection between Hecate and the famous demon rulers.

I don't see it, or perhaps have not seen enough of a connection, and to me it looks like Ceremonial magicians wishing for a stronger connection to classical deities. It would be interesting to be shown otherwise, though, and the character of Magoth/Maguth/Magoa is not explicit in the grimoires.

Off topic I suppose but I know there was a magical alphabet associated with Ephesus. However, not sure if it was associated with the Temple of Artemis or if it was actually associated with a school of magic that was centered at Ephesus. In that capacity sort of like Enochian as an alphabet and magical system. But the system if it was associated with the temple would put a Magos or magician / sorceress in some capacity in the temple hierarchy.

Given Paul's issue's with Ephesus and the Temple and the riot he caused there it doesn't surprise me that some mention of demon's would find its way into things. Figure Ephesus is one of the seven cities of Revelations in the bible.

Pleiades
Zelator

Post#136 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:54 pm

Chrysophylax wrote:Sources for this idea appear to be limited to those described in Frederic Farrar's "The Life and Work of St. Paul," in which he describes Magos as a title of Artemis of Ephesus. This is assumed to have been adopted, with a typo, by the author of the Grimoire of Honorius, as a title for one of the cardinal rulers of the infernal spirits.

Goatha to Golgotha is probably an easier transition from the Latin Vulgate.The Hebrew Bible uses Goah which means 'to toil' and is thought to be a reference to the steep ascent of a hill outside the city of David. It seems the interpretation as a place of execution originates from Wilhelm Krafft who is at odds with the traditional location of Golgotha derived from Helena in 325 prior to which the site featured a Temple dedicated to Aphrodite. According to Wiki there is archaeological evidence indicating early Christians identified Golgotha as being in the middle of the city rather than outside.

Enchantress
Neophyte

Post#137 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:08 am

With this Temple of Aphrodite was there any joining with Hekate as was said earlier of Hekate-Artemis? Something else I saw not really of this topic but her husband was Khalkeús and this name means"coppersmith"with him being a God of metalworkers.So this is the same thing they say of Yahweh that he was a God of copper smelting.I dont know which was older the Greek or Hebrew on this.
Touch not the cat without a glove

Topper
Neophyte

Post#138 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:09 am

Just joined the Forum and this thread alone was good enough reason.Fascinating information.Doubt I will be able to add much to it but its a great read.

Silenciumetaurum
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

Post#139 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:23 am

monsnoleedra wrote:
Pleiades wrote:Dont forget the author of that site runs "a Hecatean-Qliphothic coven of psychic-vampyric Demonolaters primarily dedicated to Moloch." The format of the rituals are common in the Michael Ford Sabbatic type books that blend darker shades of Wicca with ideas ripped from medieval grimoires and Biblical rooted notions of Satan.Moloch et al.

Yeah it's one of the satanist / ceremonial / McWicca / biblical slants on Hekate practices. I think there is also a bit of Mark Alan Smith's influence there as well.

Where to begin. For me and, I think, for most people serious about occult study (as opposed to emo LARPing) this entire "current" is suspect. The aesthetic that uses Chumbly-esque language and tries to mimic his AO Spare-influenced art, opportunistic cherry-picking from Kenneth Grant and Crowley, and a generous dollop of anti-cosmic Satanism (in the Temple of the Black Light meets post-Dragon Rouge Asenath Mason sense) just can't past the laugh test. Somebody on this site once called them a bunch of "Darth Vaders." That is exactly right—only Darth Vader at least lived in his own world. These people spin tasteless dreamworlds for fools.

At 10 years old, I'd have been all in. Glad they weren't around when I was at that age. Now it just looks like dark fluff marketing designed to get money to change hands and maybe impressionable and datable people to drop their linen. Unimpressive in the extreme.
Aradia: Letters from the Dark Moon

If something is hard, do it more. Don't run away.

Pleiades
Zelator

Post#140 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:01 am

Silenciumetaurum wrote:
monsnoleedra wrote:

Yeah it's one of the satanist / ceremonial / McWicca / biblical slants on Hekate practices. I think there is also a bit of Mark Alan Smith's influence there as well.

Where to begin. For me and, I think, for most people serious about occult study (as opposed to emo LARPing) this entire "current" is suspect. The aesthetic that uses Chumbly-esque language and tries to mimic his AO Spare-influenced art, opportunistic cherry-picking from Kenneth Grant and Crowley, and a generous dollop of anti-cosmic Satanism (in the Temple of the Black Light meets post-Dragon Rouge Asenath Mason sense) just can't past the laugh test. Somebody on this site once called them a bunch of "Darth Vaders." That is exactly right—only Darth Vader at least lived in his own world. These people spin tasteless dreamworlds for fools.

At 10 years old, I'd have been all in. Glad they weren't around when I was at that age. Now it just looks like dark fluff marketing designed to get money to change hands and maybe impressionable and datable people to drop their linen. Unimpressive in the extreme.

Thats a fair opinion of that particular current though Chumbley,whom I had met and entered into personal correspondence with has held more respect among academics than those who copied him.A scholar himself he drew upon a myriad of ideas from many sources including the artwork of Aubrey Beardsley.In fact it was the artwork itself that was the key to understanding his Azoetia though his overview of it I received at an age at which I could not realistically comprehend it.