Ancient Greek Hermetism

Syncretic Egyptian / Graeco-Roman magic from the collection of texts known as the Papyri Graecae Magicae.

talerman
Magus

Re: Ancient Greek Hermetism

Post#11 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:43 pm

nipha333 wrote:
Gromvol wrote:
Vermeille wrote:
I would like to investigate ancient greek Hermetism.

Ancient Greeks inherited it (along with most of the knowledge we associate with their culture) from the Egyptians. You can start by looking into Thoth.

Sorry, no monetary donations from me :)

Disagree, the fad of attributing some kind of cultural aprropriator status upon greece for sharing ideas with egypt doesnt have much to back it up.

Gromvol will regrettably not reply because he has been off for a few years by now. But, I am not sure what you mean by your statement?

nipha333
Philosophus

Re: Ancient Greek Hermetism

Post#12 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:27 am

talerman wrote:
nipha333 wrote:
Gromvol wrote:
Ancient Greeks inherited it (along with most of the knowledge we associate with their culture) from the Egyptians. You can start by looking into Thoth.

Sorry, no monetary donations from me :)

Disagree, the fad of attributing some kind of cultural aprropriator status upon greece for sharing ideas with egypt doesnt have much to back it up.

Gromvol will regrettably not reply because he has been off for a few years by now. But, I am not sure what you mean by your statement?

I'm referring to the edgy antifa kid style need to always point out that a european culture got whatever thing currently being talked about from darker skinned people. I encounter this quite a bit around the internet, as well as social media apps. The second greek culture or philosophy comes up, there is an attempt to invalidate it, or to just knock it down a notch by interjecting the claim that btw that was taken from the egyptians. Since the papyri and the period they originate in are themselves testaments that there was a fair exchange of culture and ideas, it is slightly more odious in this thread than it usually is.
'Goetic Magic … if properly understood would regenerate Western magic and underline its immense cultural significance, on a level equal to any spiritual tradition in the world.' -JSK