Ancient Greek Hermetism

Syncretic Egyptian / Graeco-Roman magic from the collection of texts known as the Papyri Graecae Magicae.

Topic author
Vermeille
Zelator

Ancient Greek Hermetism

Post#1 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:17 pm

Hello all,

After my researches on Medieval & Renaissance's Magic (still writing my paper), I would like to investigate ancient greek Hermetism. Don't get me wrong, don't send me GD's or AMORC's stuff, I want to learn how magic was practiced in 500 BCE in Greece.

I accept links, references, pdfs (if legality is a problem, send me a MP), and dollars :D

Thanks you in advance.

Gromvol
Adeptus Major

Re: Ancient Greek Hermetism

Post#2 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:43 am

Vermeille wrote:
I would like to investigate ancient greek Hermetism.

Ancient Greeks inherited it (along with most of the knowledge we associate with their culture) from the Egyptians. You can start by looking into Thoth.

Sorry, no monetary donations from me :)
"It is better to be without silver, than it is to be without honor" - Norse proverb

Topic author
Vermeille
Zelator

Post#3 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:11 am

Thank you!

For now I own
* Egyptian Magic by E.A. Wallis Budge
* Papyri Graecae Magicae
* Greek Magic by Petropoulos

talerman
Magus

Post#4 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:00 am

Maybe you may start with creating an altar to Hermes while reading those texts.

And hopefully here you may find some useful information on:

Hermes:
http://studioarcanis.com/viewtopic.php ... es#p102465

Hermes Trismegistus:

http://studioarcanis.com/viewtopic.php ... us#p101704

Galuruthaz
Practicus

Post#5 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:18 am

These might be interesting for you.

Stephen Flowers(aka Edred Thorsson) - Hermetic Magic: The Postmodern Magical Papyrus of Abaris
Don Webb - The Seven Faces of Darkness

Both guys are from ToS and have added its flavour to the books but if you keep your reading filters on you can get some interesting info from them! ;)

travsha
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

Post#6 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Hopefully you also include the Corpus Hermetica and Emerald Tablet?! Seems obvious, but no one else mentioned yet....

Also - alchemy was big in that time. This is a newer alchemy book, but I think it uses old techniques with updated equipment. Real Alchemy by Richard Bartlet.
Life is a continuous string of miracles =)
http://www.soulremedy.org

Galuruthaz
Practicus

Post#7 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:19 pm

Lol, yeah obvious. I suggest you find three volumes of "Thrice Great Hermes" by G.R. Mead. Scriptures extracted from that work can be found for free here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/27939174/Mead-Hermetica

EDIT: And I'd also recommend you to check first three chapters of "Giordano Bruno and Hermetic Tradition" by F. Yates to put things in perspective. Her division of Hermetic treatises on "optimistic" and "pesimistic" contains a lot of value for one who intends to study these texts.

Good luck! :)

nipha333
Philosophus

Post#8 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:00 pm

Gromvol wrote:
Vermeille wrote:
I would like to investigate ancient greek Hermetism.

Ancient Greeks inherited it (along with most of the knowledge we associate with their culture) from the Egyptians. You can start by looking into Thoth.

Sorry, no monetary donations from me :)

Disagree, the fad of attributing some kind of cultural aprropriator status upon greece for sharing ideas with egypt doesnt have much to back it up.
'Goetic Magic … if properly understood would regenerate Western magic and underline its immense cultural significance, on a level equal to any spiritual tradition in the world.' -JSK

nipha333
Philosophus

Post#9 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:01 pm

Galuruthaz wrote:These might be interesting for you.

Stephen Flowers(aka Edred Thorsson) - Hermetic Magic: The Postmodern Magical Papyrus of Abaris
Don Webb - The Seven Faces of Darkness

Both guys are from ToS and have added its flavour to the books but if you keep your reading filters on you can get some interesting info from them! ;)

100% agree on these two.

but primary source would be the PGM, and i cant not suggest jake stratton kents "geosophia"
'Goetic Magic … if properly understood would regenerate Western magic and underline its immense cultural significance, on a level equal to any spiritual tradition in the world.' -JSK

nipha333
Philosophus

Post#10 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:03 pm

travsha wrote:Hopefully you also include the Corpus Hermetica and Emerald Tablet?! Seems obvious, but no one else mentioned yet....

Also - alchemy was big in that time. This is a newer alchemy book, but I think it uses old techniques with updated equipment. Real Alchemy by Richard Bartlet.

real alchemy - robert allen bartlett

way of the crucible - robert allen bartlett

spagyrics - manfred junius

Alchemical essays - dr ross mack

is a good starting point