Hekate & Her Mysteries

Syncretic Egyptian / Graeco-Roman magic from the collection of texts known as the Papyri Graecae Magicae.
User avatar

Topic author
Wanderer
Praeceptor
Praeceptor
Posts: 3519
Contact:

Re: Hekate & Her Mysteries

Post#61 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:38 pm

monsnoleedra wrote:When I was creating this sigil / image I actually created a set of three. So there are in fact two sister images that go with the one I have shown here. I have rough drafts of them on one of the images I've attached so you can get an idea. basically they are the same image though one is inverted while the other is more opposite with a few minor changes. Almost as if one is a true male and female energy while the inverted felt like it would be negative vs positive when I was considering it. I've mainly messed with the image I've been showing here as far as how I was thinking about celestial / chthonic and oceanic. But the inverted would put the underworld to the top which would pull chthonic powers first I think. And also pull dark moon or waxing moon period influences.

But like I said my skill with any of the programs really sucks so the sister images are really bad.


Interesting indeed! Thank you for sharing. I notice that the sigils each flow differently based upon their directional orientation, which has gotten me thinking about the directionality present within the context of a land-taking ritual, for example. This, in turn, calls to mind something I believe we discussed prior in one of our Heketean threads: how light playing off of her image invokes a different "face".

Perhaps directional placement in or on a monument would make a like difference here, as I've noticed that this occurs with a sigil I created with her direction some time ago. While the directionality of the sigil itself (be it straight up and down, inverted, leaning left, or leaning right) makes little difference, where that sigil faces when I do such works makes for a substantial difference. I've asked to share that image here, but she's given me a hard "no" on that for the moment, so instead I'll speak on this in the abstract to see if it creates some inspiration.

I've been meaning to test to see if light playing off of that sigil makes a difference, as light shining through it most definitely does.

User avatar

monsnoleedra
Adeptus Minor
Posts: 522

Re: Hekate & Her Mysteries

Post#62 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Wanderer wrote: Interesting indeed! Thank you for sharing. I notice that the sigils each flow differently based upon their directional orientation, which has gotten me thinking about the directionality present within the context of a land-taking ritual, for example. This, in turn, calls to mind something I believe we discussed prior in one of our Heketean threads: how light playing off of her image invokes a different "face".

Perhaps directional placement in or on a monument would make a like difference here, as I've noticed that this occurs with a sigil I created with her direction some time ago. While the directionality of the sigil itself (be it straight up and down, inverted, leaning left, or leaning right) makes little difference, where that sigil faces when I do such works makes for a substantial difference. I've asked to share that image here, but she's given me a hard "no" on that for the moment, so instead I'll speak on this in the abstract to see if it creates some inspiration.

I've been meaning to test to see if light playing off of that sigil makes a difference, as light shining through it most definitely does.


I've though of making a walking wheel with them. But to be honest it also had me thinking a bit about the strophalos as well when I was playing around with the walking wheel concept. To give them a central point you'd have to have a void or hub to align them to. They wouldn't be specifically connected to it but would sort of be rotating around it or positioned off of it. Sort of like you where looking down upon a disk from above but it was flattened out. Tried to imagine it if it was circular and oval with the figures wrapped on it in sort of a 3d image like a globe. Which would mean there is a void at the top and bottom. I can see it but can't really describe it to well. It's not an orb but more like an egg when I see it though. Yet as it spins the light definitely changes as it reflects the face of each image but inwardly and outwardly in how it is seen and projected.

I've had the idea of inscribing all three on a candle and putting some other images on it. Get the idea of a ritual / ceremony to go with it but it's still in the development stage at this point. Sort of a there is more to come so stand by for it. Think that is why I've had more to do with the one form and the other two are rough right now .
Can't Never Did Nothing Till It Tried!

User avatar

Topic author
Wanderer
Praeceptor
Praeceptor
Posts: 3519
Contact:

Re: Hekate & Her Mysteries

Post#63 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:30 pm

monsnoleedra wrote:I've though of making a walking wheel with them. But to be honest it also had me thinking a bit about the strophalos as well when I was playing around with the walking wheel concept. To give them a central point you'd have to have a void or hub to align them to. They wouldn't be specifically connected to it but would sort of be rotating around it or positioned off of it. Sort of like you where looking down upon a disk from above but it was flattened out. Tried to imagine it if it was circular and oval with the figures wrapped on it in sort of a 3d image like a globe. Which would mean there is a void at the top and bottom. I can see it but can't really describe it to well. It's not an orb but more like an egg when I see it though. Yet as it spins the light definitely changes as it reflects the face of each image but inwardly and outwardly in how it is seen and projected.

I've had the idea of inscribing all three on a candle and putting some other images on it. Get the idea of a ritual / ceremony to go with it but it's still in the development stage at this point. Sort of a there is more to come so stand by for it. Think that is why I've had more to do with the one form and the other two are rough right now .


That could be a very interesting design choice, and one that could very likely pay off in a meaningful way. I suspect execution of that particular design would have quite the impact on its use and flow, since I see this being useful in a couple of different ways...not least among them being a quarry mill water wheel like so: http://www.whitemill.org/z0028.htm

I've been trying to figure out why this sigil was so appealing to me beyond the obvious, and it was in seeing this concept connected to a wheel that pieced this together for me. Perhaps it would be possible to construct a miniature version thereof that would then act to "power" rituals and the like when used? Its an oddball thought to be sure, but somehow has me very excited all the same.

This could potentially tie in to what you're suggesting it here, given the mention of the sigil rotating around a central point, as working with Hekate has some distinctive grindstone elements. Each revolution about the center slowly effaces our state of being and changes our disposition, after all.

User avatar

monsnoleedra
Adeptus Minor
Posts: 522

Re: Hekate & Her Mysteries

Post#64 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:04 am

Playing around with it still but here is a rough wheel format. I got the idea to add a symbol to denote celestial (star / full moon / crescent moon), 3 mountain peaks for chthonic & 3 waves for oceanic. Started to make each leg of the design a "Y" for the cross roads but then though that was not needed since it is a natural "Y" given it is a 3 celled design anyway. Yet still retains the idea of a hidden 4th face via the circle and empty space in the central opening.

Still not completely satisfied as something seems missing but though i'd put this up anyway and see what other's though.

Edited to add a better quality wheel image
Attachments
Hekate-Artemis sigil new .jpg
Last edited by monsnoleedra on Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Can't Never Did Nothing Till It Tried!

User avatar

monsnoleedra
Adeptus Minor
Posts: 522

Re: Hekate & Her Mysteries

Post#65 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:17 am

Though I'd' add this as a discussion point for how this idea has been unfolding in my head.

I was doing some pondering for this wheel design. Keep seeing it in my head and then I started to see two other wheels appearing behind it but working in conjunction with it. That and the idea that Hekate holds dominion in the celestial realm as well as the Chthonic and Oceanic realms.

So the main wheel and the designs incorporate the idea of all three influences. Each quarter accounts for manipulating or calling forth an influence from that particular influence. But something has been nagging me as missing from all of this.

Then she showed me an image of the heavens rotating around the designs I had created. But the image was shown in two bands. One as a planetary band and one as a zodiac band. Each band moving sort of on its own but aligning up against one of the quadrants to influence that quadrant. Like a set of wheels that are dialed in to call upon specific functions. Almost as if they are used in a waning, waxing or full influence capacity by how they are placed in the quadrant.

Like I've said my ability to use paint or other programs has sucked so far. So that hasn't allowed me to create the desired image but I've attached what I think the astronomical & astrological pattern looks like. Then you can perhaps imagine the wheel placed in the center of it. I found one image that shows the duel influence of some planets upon certain zodiac signs such as Pisces which is influenced by both Neptune and Jupiter.

So where there is duel influence you'd choose which is the better influence or use the duel influence.

Of course this is just my mind thinking out loud at the moment.
Attachments
21e7132ce0c49d1895d776a7e9226fb3--learn-astrology-zodiac-signs-astrology.jpg
21e7132ce0c49d1895d776a7e9226fb3--learn-astrology-zodiac-signs-astrology.jpg (33.85 KiB) Viewed 421 times
Can't Never Did Nothing Till It Tried!


NoxLumina
Philosophus
Posts: 451

Re: Hekate & Her Mysteries

Post#66 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:05 am

Weird thought I have, part UPG and part archaeology geek-out that I'm on:

My take is that Hekate is Neolithic, a form of a deity which propagated through Europe during the first and second Neolithic expansions out from the Eastern Mediterranean.

These people are remembered as the European First Farmers. Genetic evidence has proven them as the same cultural complex that built Stonehenge. One wave went along the Southern Mediterranean coast and islands (colonizing Crete among other places, which managed to hold onto Anatolian culture for a long time), then onward (via the Iberian peninsula, to the British isles). Another went up the Danube.

Certainly they were accomplished mariners and navigators, probably no less skilled than the Pacific Northwest Coast Salish or many Pacific cultures. They could do a lot with what was at hand. If I consider my own Coast Salish family members' voyaging lore and how big and old and visually/technologically consistent the Pacific Northwest Native cultural complex is and has been for a long time (as a non-metal industry), it's not weird or far fetched to me that a cultural complex could have spread across European waterways and coasts the way that the European First Farmers did.

With this in mind, think about Hekate as a sea goddess; water was very important to these people and water travel had probably had been their major lifeway for millennia.
My NEW Magickal Blog: Dreamingflight

User avatar

Topic author
Wanderer
Praeceptor
Praeceptor
Posts: 3519
Contact:

Re: Hekate & Her Mysteries

Post#67 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:46 pm

Man, its hard to believe that its already been a month!

These are some very interesting designs and concepts, Monsnoleedra. The rough wheel format of the first image draws one in and keeps one's attention on the image, but for whatever reason doesn'y quite "click" in this format. I can't quite discern why, but whenever I attempt to connect to this or visualize it more readily, the wheel is turning yet the sigils that apply themselves to it do not. Some of this is clearly a lesson of a kind, but there's more to it than that.

Some of what comes to mind here revolves around (forgive that pun) the cycle itself and the flow associated with all things. There's a give and a take, an ebb and a flow to all things within Existence, and that has a manifest impact on this, I suspect. Especially if what NoxLumina has said here applies (and I very much believe that it does, on some level).

There's definitely a waxing and waning component to the mix by extension, as these rotational indices, for want of a better word, are almost like complications on a watch face. Each and every part interconnects in some way and then fuels other changes which extrapolate out from there.

Some of this seems astrological, but it feels to me more like this fits into an existing system, as while Hekate is Empyrean, she doesn't really feel to be extraterrestrial. Its rather more like she's rooted to the Earth and connected to the Stars, and this has held true in other tests I've applied in the time between my last post and now.

More on that in a bit.

Before I get there, however, there's a very clear link between the seas and Hekate, especially when its properly old things related to the sea. Just a bit ago I went to a gem and mineral show & I had a chance to talk to this passionate old hermit type who was brilliant and studied in the best of ways. This dude knew his geology something [i]fierce[/u], and while I don't know how we got there in the conversation, he mentioned that the sea level has risen.

At first, I did not put two and two together, as I was just thinking of this from a mineral POV. Then he went on to explain further: our ancestors, especially the really early ones, didn't have the ability to distantly access things. Trekking long distances happened, sure, but much of what humans achieved swiftly was tied in some way to the water. So of course, we built on the water.

As the sea level has risen, those settlements would have been erased by the passage of time and the erosion of water. As soon as I made that connection, suddenly this bit with Hekate made sense. This concept of her being tied to the waters and the shallows...what if its partly because that's where her history is? Its not a totally ridiculous idea, given that we're talking about hundreds of feet of water and literally miles of area now covered by sea that wasn't there way back when.

If Hekate is as ancient as we believe she is, then this is the same kind of perfectly logical connection that she'd bring to the table.

This, by extension, relates some to what I've been working with under her guise. I was given the opportunity and push to begin working with some regionally distant entities with what I'll describe as astrological ties. It surprised me when Hekate instructed me to utilize her presence to gain the respect of these spirits, as I hadn't really associated her with Asiatic practices. There was a background awareness/UPG that she probably did show up in those cultures at some point, but that was about it.

But she simply reminded me that there is nothing under the Sun or Moon that escapes her. That didnd't strike me as an ego-led thing, either...rather, an acknowledgement of what she is, has been, and will continue to be. The end results following this have been pretty staggering, and its had a manifest impact on my practices with and respect for her. Its UPG, but the real world changes supporting this have my full attention to say the very least.

I can't share more about those spirits at the moment, so I'm being as vague as I'm required to be. This is the sort of thing worth sharing, as it may contribute to the overall discussion being had here.

User avatar

monsnoleedra
Adeptus Minor
Posts: 522

Re: Hekate & Her Mysteries

Post#68 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:49 pm

NoxLumina wrote:Weird thought I have, part UPG and part archaeology geek-out that I'm on:

My take is that Hekate is Neolithic, a form of a deity which propagated through Europe during the first and second Neolithic expansions out from the Eastern Mediterranean.

These people are remembered as the European First Farmers. Genetic evidence has proven them as the same cultural complex that built Stonehenge. One wave went along the Southern Mediterranean coast and islands (colonizing Crete among other places, which managed to hold onto Anatolian culture for a long time), then onward (via the Iberian peninsula, to the British isles). Another went up the Danube.

Certainly they were accomplished mariners and navigators, probably no less skilled than the Pacific Northwest Coast Salish or many Pacific cultures. They could do a lot with what was at hand. If I consider my own Coast Salish family members' voyaging lore and how big and old and visually/technologically consistent the Pacific Northwest Native cultural complex is and has been for a long time (as a non-metal industry), it's not weird or far fetched to me that a cultural complex could have spread across European waterways and coasts the way that the European First Farmers did.

With this in mind, think about Hekate as a sea goddess; water was very important to these people and water travel had probably had been their major lifeway for millennia.


I've always though that Hekate was missing a significant sea aspect to her mythos. I don't know if she would qualify as a true sea goddess specifically say like a female counter part to Poseidon. In fact, to my way of thinking I don't see in her that capacity to be honest. Yet I think she would have been worshiped and her imagery and shrines / altars would have been found upon ships going to sea. Not just fishermen but tradesmen / transports and even military type vessels would have made offerings / libations to her both onshore and onboard. I think a lot of her cultic influences would initially spread via her oceanic influences via "sailors" and their superstitions. My personal opinion is that her oceanic influences would have spread and influenced things even faster than any witchcraft influences would have spread Sailors tended to be superstitious by nature, and to some degree even today still are in many ways.

Figure in the Theogony [410] Hesiod says: she is
..to have a share of the earth and the unfruitful sea. She received honour also in starry heaven..
https://www.theoi.com/Text/HesiodTheogony.html

Unfortunately most stuff about her tends to focus upon the Witchy side of things and nearly (completely ?) ignores the Sea, Heaven and if honest mostly even the earthy (fertility / fecundity) side of things. Yet are very focused on the Chthonic side of the earthy picture which would tie into her companion picture with Persephone who is only in Hades for part of the year not all of the year. Which to my thinking adds the question if she is Persephone's companion and accompanies her then would she not be gone from the underworld as well while Persephone is in the upper world? My own experiences and UPG says she would be and is but I can't speak for others.
Can't Never Did Nothing Till It Tried!

User avatar

monsnoleedra
Adeptus Minor
Posts: 522

Re: Hekate & Her Mysteries

Post#69 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:17 pm

Don't know if this will matter or make sense, but it pertains to the sigil / image and how I was guided to work with it at one point.

I've tried using it on the wheel pattern. i've been guided to use it as individual sigils that have been laid out around a central hub and see how that worked. But then I got an idea to use them stacked like an accordion folder or expanding folder. Basically drawing the first sigil image of celestial on the fronting page, the water sigil on the backing page, the earth / chthonic sigil on the next fronting page, then the wording for the desire / spell on the backing page for the final page.

So basically a strip of paper about 2 inches wide and about 6 inches long that was then folded into an accordion Roughly looked like a booklet with two pages though I could have made it as many pages as I though I would have needed to draw the sigils then write out the specifications of my "desire".

Once completed after drawing out the sigils in the desired colors and writing out the wording in the desired colors and tense I placed the sigil in the center of the wheel and sigils. Then inscribed a candle with the names of the gods & goddesses I intended to call upon as well as my own marks and placed it all upon the sigil and lit the candle centered upon the accordion paper. then of course you invoke the beings being called and center the image and focus upon it and clear everything else from your mind. I used a tea light candle and had the sigils stacked to represent heaven, water and underworld with water being the element which penetrates all three and ties them together. If I recall correctly I also did it at dawn as a transition time as dusk felt wrong to me when I was considering when to do it.

I later repeated the ritual at dusk a few days later and then burnt the sigil and washed away the ashes with water. At the time I had the sense that was the thing to do at the time.
Can't Never Did Nothing Till It Tried!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest