Bardon's definition of a Lamen is different from Crowley's

Initiation Into Hermetics, The Practice of Magical Evocation and The Key to the True Quabbalah.

Topic author
Gromvol
Adeptus Major

Bardon's definition of a Lamen is different from Crowley's

Post#1 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:42 pm

Hi everyone! I was reading through Talerman's thread on the 360 evocations and a certain unresolved inconsistency jumped out at me regarding the definition of a lamen. Talerman, I once again thank you for starting your wonderful thread.

I did a search on EM regarding Bardon's lamens and came up with a few mentions, but nothing in-depth. I'm starting this thread as an attempt to clear up any confusion (that I might have) on the subject.

it seems that Bardon's description of the purpose as well as the definition of a lamen is different than Crowley's.

For Crowley (as is more traditional with the Solomon's Key Ceremonies), the lamen contains the same image as the seal of the being that is evoked: "...The Lamen of the spirit whom one wishes to evoke...". The lamen is attached to the garment, while the seal is placed in the triangle. The lamen changes with every evocation, depending on the evoked entity.

However, according to Bardon, a lamen is like a seal of the magician (instead of an entity) - a personal "coat of arms", and it is to be attached permanently to the garment (sewn on or engraved in metal and attached), hence it remains the same, is part of the robe and has nothing to do with the entity being evoked.

Am I understanding this correctly, or am I missing something? Anyone with experience in the field, please confirm this discrepancy or set me straight. Thank you in advance.
"It is better to be without silver, than it is to be without honor" - Norse proverb

This topic has 14 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login