Netflix recommendation

Vodou, Palo Mayombe, Kimbanda, Umbanda, Candomble, Catimbo, 21 Divisions, Santeria, etc.

Topic author
raum215
Magister Templi

Netflix recommendation

Post#1 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:57 pm

I am currently 4 episodes deep into "Lost Kingdoms of Africa" and it is awesome. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Kingdoms_of_Africa

First of all, Gus is a masterful artist, and very charming. I am not one to group all of the continent under one banner anyways, and i love the distinct air each show gets. I know there is some cameramanship and staging that occurs, but it is really a wonder to me. My own education is woefully lacking this kind of perspective of Africa, but from what I know - and see in these ruins and assertions, there is alot of tradition and intent behind some of these things, many which stand as unique among artifacts of humanity. it is so refreshing that the focus of the show is history, not the misery of Africa, which seems to be what the whole world has a hard on for all the time. It makes Africa look more like the continent I want to visit and study in greater depth, a dignified queen atop a throne of the earth, not a battered hooker strung out and left for dead in the dumpster behind a military industrial complex.

Sorry, to put it that way but seriously, the light shed on Africa in this show is respectful and inquisitive - not evangelical and promissary. And it is refreshing.
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I YHVH do all these things.

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login