Yoruba Language

Vodou, Palo Mayombe, Kimbanda, Umbanda, Candomble, Catimbo, 21 Divisions, Santeria, etc.

Topic author
Apla'T
Philosophus

Yoruba Language

Post#1 » Sat May 05, 2012 1:28 pm

The Yoruba language is used in a few ATRs and a mixture of yoruba and spanish is used in some others. At what point does the scientific and spiritual concepts of Yorubaland become dogmatic religious language.

I am working on a spiritual art project, id like that I use correct terminology, and my foundation in magick is totally saintseria lucumi. Esu was looking for me and my first divination asked me to initiate with gurrerros. Four years of intensive study rather than flows and ebbs of info in a community setting, I can describe the universe in terms of yoruba thought!

Ori sa is a concept, in sainteria Lucumi it is a religious term.
Orisa names in yoruba refer to currents stemming from orunmila recording the light which passes through the void of esu, as vulvic whispers of the iyami. In Lucumi sainteria they are gods reappropriated in spanglish.
Ori sa science is shared pretty openly in yorubaland, and evolves naturally as the currents unfold into the rainbow serpent, here in the states, Lucumi sainteria is building kingdoms.

Having this foundation in yoruba linguistics as applied to spiritual thought, I really want to avoid pissing off too many great folks. Is there a line dividing copyrighted or undefilably sacred terms from general concepts in a different language...

What sort of terminology should I stay away from in framing my thoughts.
Thanks in advance.

La`T
:angelic
...when someone says, “I am the only person who does initiations correctly.” From a traditional Ifa perspective there is no such thing as the correct way to do an initiation. The question is: how we do an initiation effectively?
~Fa`Lokun Fatunmbi

This topic has 18 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login