US Grimoire Gathering 2011

Announcements, Information and Site Suggestions.

Topic author
Neophyte
Practicus

US Grimoire Gathering 2011

Post#1 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:13 pm

Beginning this thread with a cut and paste from another thread:

I got to thinking that EM should have its own version of this - an idea that has been germinating since I had lunch with Gibil and Lgdvl73 (and his lovely wife) a few days ago. Gibil had mentioned that he would like to see us do some talks in New York, and I knew that Vovin was thinking of coming to the US on business in February. He has to be convinced to come to NYC, however, so I was thinking of building something for him to come to (pardon the dangling preposition). I fell asleep last night planning (over-planning) it. I was originally contemplating a one-day meet-up, but the Grimoire Gathering got me thinking that were we to have our own Grimoire Gathering in New York, it would not only give him a more compelling reason to come, a Gathering of this nature would benefit New York mages in several ways. The idea is still in its beginning stages, but this is the tadpole:

When: February - exact date to be decided

Where: New York - exact address to be decided

Who:
Attendees - 5 dollar fee
Company Publisher stall holders: 20 dollar fee
Personal Publisher / Individual stall holder fee: 10 dollars (15 dollars from 2 weeks before) Does not need to pay attendee fee.

Food: To be decided. Will look into having just one vendor, but if people want to have private food stalls, may accommodate this.

Speakers: 4 speakers - 2 in the a.m., 2 in p.m. Magickal topics could be centered around the biography of a magician, a certain magickal path or magickal text, etc. Similar to what is on our EM blog. To be discussed more.

Will follow this format:

9 am - 10 am: Stall set-up (NO fluffy wiccan arts and crafts BS, just books and serious magickal implements)
!0 am - Stalls open for the day
11 a.m. - Welcome, Introduction of First Speaker
11:15 - 11:45 First Speaker (Time includes Q and A period)
11:45 - 12:00 - Break
12:00 to 12:30 - Second speaker and Q & A

12:30 - 1:30 lunch break, Stalls opened

1:30 - 2:00 Third speaker & Q & A
2:00 - 2:15 Coffee break (Stalls open)
2;30 - 3:00 Fourth speaker & Q & A
3:00 - 3:05 Closing comments
3:05 - 4:00 Stalls open
4:30 Stalls should be closed and dismantled

7:00 Dinner and drinks at other designated spot for any interested attendees

Monies from this will be used to cover the costs of the venue and the hardware. Any leftover monies will go the maintenance of EM.com and/or raffled off for the purchase of texts by a chosen/deserving winner.

People from the forum will be called upon to deliver the talks but maybe we can entice some others too. I plan to look into discounted hotel rates for attendees from out of town, etc. This is 6 months away so we have enough time to consider it seriously. Let me know your thoughts, please.

First draft of planning timeline:

By end of September 2010

- Finalise name of first speaker and his/her talk title (Gibil to be persuaded to do first talk.)
- Recommendations for second speaker and topic should be on the table (Lgdvl's job)

By end of October

- Recommendation for Speaker 2 and topic finalised
- Recommendations for Speakers 3 and 4 and their topics, on the table
- Recommendations for daytime events venue presented (Neo's job)
- Recommendations for nighttime events venue presented (Neo and Lgdvl's job)
- Fundraising efforts for organizing event started (Neo's job)

By end of November

- All four speakers and their topics finalised (Lgdvl and Gibil)
- Daytime venue chosen, but not finalised (this will be determined by date Vovin is travelling from UK)
- Nighttime venue finalised (Neo and Lgdvl)
- Update given on fundraising (Neo's job)

By end of December

- Stalls (booths) sorted out and finalised (Neo with advice and help from others)
- Daytime venue finalised, paid for. (Neo's job)
- Flights investigated (Neo's job)
- Hotel discounts investigated (Neo's job)
- NYC Entertainment happenings around the event presented (Neo's job)
- Marketing of event should have begun

By end of January

- We should have all the above done and just be focusing on marketing the event (Everyone's job)

Thanks,
Neo
"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer."
Albert Einsten

This topic has 38 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login