Translations - questions for the non-English native speakers

The methods and techniques outlined in The Miracle of New Avatar Power by Geof Gray-Cobb

Topic author
dasIch
Neophyte

Translations - questions for the non-English native speakers

Post#1 » Wed May 29, 2013 6:25 pm

Hello, I am new here. Since few days practice NAP rituals, returning to magic after long break.
I have one question for people there who don't use English as their primary language. Do you translate NAP rituals into your native ones, or go with English versions? How did you decipher pronounciation of Names in rituals? They probably make sense to English native speakers, but others can make a lot of mistakes, as there is no normal IPA (phonetic) transcription.

Myself, I translate rites, and even names, according to the rules of my mother-language. Sometimes it requires to put inflection into names, like in Latin - unfortunately English lacks inflection so I am not sure if such things are kosher.

Would be glad to share experiences with NAP. Mine? Nothing worth mentioning yet.

akenu
Adeptus Minor

Re: Translations - questions for the non-English native spea

Post#2 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:33 am

Always do what feels appropriate :).

Topic author
dasIch
Neophyte

Post#3 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:53 am

So there is no point in internet forums for exchanging ideas and experiences? :o
Also I like doing things highly inappropriate :D

akenu
Adeptus Minor

Post#4 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:22 am

I said what seems appropriate, not what is considered appropriate by general public ;-).

raum215
Magister Templi

Post#5 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:57 am

Anyone who speaks English who says speak only English is a moron. Most of the works were not in English.

My suggestion would be go with your mother language - English is a mutt of a language anyways; but she is MY mutt! :wub

I personally have never seen a book which shows the real key to uttering names and words of power - which has very little to do with making a specific sound. If has to do with making sure you are making correct gestures with parts of your mouth including your jaw, tongue, lips, and teeth, as you lend sound to breath. The result of proper utterance in unmistakable, but it has little to do with proper pronunciation. In fact it has more to do with understanding words and how to properly utter them.

the goal of a magician cannot simply be to be conversational in a language...
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I YHVH do all these things.