Pronunciation issues

The methods and techniques outlined in The Miracle of New Avatar Power by Geof Gray-Cobb

Topic author
PaagrioO
Neophyte

Pronunciation issues

Post#1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi everyone

My primary language is portuguese, so its being troublesome the pronunciations.

Does anybody know any video that shows how its supposed to be? Or words to compare?

How am I supposed to say this VEE-NOKE-OH-TEE-SEE-AWN?
VEE- like VIsual?
NOKE- like NOKia?
OH- OH my god!
TEE - Tea
SEE - Sea/See
AWN - dAWN or dOWN?

Some more words:
AH- with the sound of letter A?
HOR- with the sound of the word "OR"?
MAY- with the sound of the month "May"?
NIGH- with the sound of NIGHt or knee?

Its realy confusing =/
I'd appreciate if there's any portuguese speaker here.

raum215
Magister Templi

Re: Pronunciation issues

Post#2 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:26 pm

NAP's magick is largely based on Hebrew, and the pronuciation that NAP tries to use is Ashkenazic. Some of the words in it are of Greek and Sanskrit origins, and these languages are all sort of mangled in the book where they are given pronuciation guidance.

If I were you, I would pray for guidance about this one. At the most, a person who has no linguistic proficiency could tell you how THEY use them. At the most a person with linguistic proficiency could tell you how they would conventionally be employed by people who have more skill in the language, but perhaps no experience with magick.

The only true option is to "wing it" or to gain some linguistic proficiency. This will not be done in a week, or even a month. The soundshape of proper language and linguistic proficiency is a lifelong effort.

My personal belief and recommendation is if you are not confident with a magick operation, do not attempt it until you find a way to such confidence. My personal way to such confidence, upon advice of prayer before I ever had a human resource for instruction, as a child was with the Psalms of David, which I still employ. In fact, Qabalist, Magician, Christian, Aleister Crowley, and even the angels in the recorded works of John Dee agree - these are the BEST way to call the Archangel Michael to attendance. It is just now, I can employ those Psalms in many languages instead of limited to King James's English.
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I YHVH do all these things.

Topic author
PaagrioO
Neophyte

Post#3 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:32 pm

I'll do that.

But how do you pronounce the words I wrote?

SFT
Neophyte

Post#4 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:49 pm

The way they are written is the way they are to be pronounced, so...

VEE- Sounds like See
NOKE- ..Poke
OH- OH my god!..yup
TEE - Tea...yup
SEE - Sea/See...yup
AWN ..Yawn/Dawn

AH- like ma or pa
HOR- with the sound of the word "OR"?...yup
MAY- with the sound of the month "May"?...yup
NIGH- with the sound of NIGHt or knee?...I would go with NIGHt, will have to look that up.

Topic author
PaagrioO
Neophyte

Post#5 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:15 pm

Ty very much

I'll start my rituals tomorrow

AlexanderKane
Zelator

Post#6 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:37 am

I have the same issue with EYE
is like the english eye?

raum215
Magister Templi

Post#7 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:32 am

yes. - that is exactly how most people would pronounce it. The problem is with tonals. Consonant Tonals are not the same as our vowels, but they are infinitely treated as such. Aleph, properly speaking is NOT the Roman or English A, not originally. It is just "breath" hitting the top of your mouth so when you see a word starting with. There is a either bit of a "y," abit of a "h" a bit of "o" or a bit of an "e" in that breath depending on what letter you voice next - simply because your mouth's mechanisms are in motion.

So he is approximating the pronunciations of one particular accent.

for example "h-Dyo-Na-yeh" and "AH-DOE-NIGH-EEE" sound very similar to a person who is used to speaking English, as does the more classic "ADONAY" to the more classic European Source.

So really if you know pronunciation, that is great - but if not - PRAY for guidance. And for what you pray to - or what prayer is - it is simply "requesting" something. People used to "pray" to each other all the time. "I pray you, good sir, might I have a spot of tea?"

It means to ask but politely so as "not to be a bother." There is an inherent discipline in prayer - because it tempers your wants with reassurance your needs are being met. There is also silent prayer which is bacially meditative emptying of the cares and worrries, fears and othert thing to "reboot." There are also other please that are made - and some more intense for intense reasons. This is simply asking for a convenient lesson in a respectful way. Prayer is the first rule of a Magick of the spirits, like Evocation - unless you want to treat them as non-personalized forces or be a jerk.
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I YHVH do all these things.