Pronounciation

The methods and techniques outlined in The Miracle of New Avatar Power by Geof Gray-Cobb

Topic author
saurux87
Neophyte

Pronounciation

Post#1 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:27 pm

Iv'e been using NAP for a little while now and i had some questions about pronunciation

i am semi fluent in Hebrew and have a working knowledge of biblical Hebrew as well. so i see every so often that some if not most of the power words or names are in Hebrew.

with that said sometimes it seems to me that the pronunciation as they are written by Cobb are slightly off from the way i would pronounce them in my knowledge of Hebrew. so my question is:

am i better off pronouncing it as Cobb writes it out, or as i would regularly pronounce it in the way i usually speak Hebrew?

to give a couple of examples:

1)Ankar yod hay vaw hay: while i don't think ankar is Hebrew, yod hay vaw hay i assume is the spelling out of the Tetragrammaton
that i would be more likely to pronounce yud hay vaav hay

or

2) YE-HO-VO-TSE-VAH-OSE (i know this isnt exactly how Cobb wrote it) i would be more likely to pronounce this as YEH-HO-VAH-TSEH-VAH-OTT (this example is also of importance because of the pronunciation of the letter 'taph' which some people pronounce softly as saaf and some as taaph and it comes up fairly often.

can anyone shed any light on this please?

toothache
Adeptus Minor

Re: Pronounciation

Post#2 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:47 pm

I'll let somebody more educated than me respond,

but I pronounce YHVH the same as you.

You will see that in different books/grimoires the pronunciation is slightly different. Considering a lot of words coming from Hebrew, perhaps some from ancient Hebrew pronunciations? I don't know. And not everyone in books spells phoenetically (NAP is one of the ONLY ones I've seen), so I would honestly, until someone corrects you, stick to your native tongue.

Raum is your man, I hope he chimes in. He is the "Scrabble master" when it comes to words, in addition to many other things. He's a valuable asset to this board, even though a lot of his posts go over my head until I reread them months later :rofl

Topic author
saurux87
Neophyte

Post#3 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:53 pm

yea I've read a lot of his posts so i figured if no one else, he could probably answer me.

thanks for chiming in though, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one

mrblack
Adeptus Minor

Post#4 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:51 am

Topic author
saurux87
Neophyte

Post#5 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:13 am

mrblack wrote:http://www.studioarcanis.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8630

is this what you are looking for?

not really. i get how its supposed to be pronounced as the book shows it. its just that my Hebrew pronunciation is a little different. perhaps akin to the differences between Sephardi and Ashkenazi Hebrew.
either way i appreciate it.

the way i see it they are probably both valid; as one can call them different dialects, or maybe not even dialects but different accents of the same dialect.
Thanks for your help

Diceman
Practicus

Post#6 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:12 am

Sorry for possible English mistakes, but this is the way I pronounce this words, for me it is always better that your words sounds like more in "Hebrew" because Cobb, Nagel...they just copy Hebrew names and often they do that somehwhat badly, but some people get results even with those different soundings.

1. ANKAR: A - as in My, N - Norman, K - Calvin, A - My, R - Read

2. YOD: Y - Yellow, O - dUring, D - During

3. HAY: HAY - HEllo

4. VAW: V - Very, A - My, W - Very

Hope this help.

Also remember that pronounciation can be a kind of "a little dirty trick" from the author. We have example of "Jason Pike - Powerful Magic Words - 140 Amazing Mantras..."yes they are maybe amazing but nobody knows how to pronounce them since there is no guide in the booklet.

Bulgarian_Magician
Neophyte

Post#7 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:22 am

Can I ask whether I may perform NAP Rituals on my native language or not? It is slavic (bulgarian) and has nothing in common with english or hebrew. Thank you for the answer in advance. I'm just curious and I need help before beginning with it. :?
:Thank You

toothache
Adeptus Minor

Post#8 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:09 pm

Bulgarian_Magician wrote:Can I ask whether I may perform NAP Rituals on my native language or not? It is slavic (bulgarian) and has nothing in common with english or hebrew. Thank you for the answer in advance. I'm just curious and I need help before beginning with it. :?
:Thank You

native tongue is fine

Boggsley
Practicus

Post#9 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:55 pm

I think the emphasis on the physical pronunciation is one of those instances where the medium is mistaken for the art. I've pronounced everything like someone who has spent time in Capetown (AKA probably as far away from authentic Hebrew as you can imagine) and just tried to emulate what and how he wrote it and have had quite frankly amazing results. (And I do mean amazing.)

No physical copy of the book, before anyone asks. I rarely do rituals for consecutive days. I don't even tithe or feed the spirits very often. It's mostly telling them what I need.

The pronunciation of the words is important insofar as you are basically knocking your brain offline. You are basically talking yourself into 'trance' during the beginning ritual. The magic words are there as a focal point for your own power, will, and intent. You are shutting your conscious mind up when you begin the invocation and contacting your subconscious. It is analogous to self-hypnosis; in fact I would go so far as to say it IS self-hypnosis, if there weren't such scientific stigma clouding that. You are talking your conscious mind to a standstill and then reaching out to your subconscious and telling it how to communicate with what's there.

I would go into a huge 101 course on the basics of it all but it's just as effective as you believe it's effective, end of story. It's a terrible pill to swallow, but there it is. Don't sweat the small stuff, just be as mystical and sound as professional as you want and you'll get your point across. Just don't second guess yourself. Note that this is hard-won, personal experience. I hope it helps.

raum215
Magister Templi

Post#10 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:16 pm

When you study Qabala - it is not pronuciation you should worry about - pronunciation is a by-product of the ruach elohim within being shaped by the mouth, teeth, tongue, lips, and throat. All parts of Hebrew archaically were connected to anatomy in the vocal system - pay attention to that above all - find the sound shape of the language - and you will experience the true ACTION that speaking is.

I do not use NAP pronunciations - they were meant as guides for people who only speak and read English, in the 70's.
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I YHVH do all these things.