Ankar= ?

The methods and techniques outlined in The Miracle of New Avatar Power by Geof Gray-Cobb

Omnis Validus
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

Re: Ankar= ?

Post#11 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:49 am

Vovin wrote:
The Yezidis sometimes use the name “Ankar” for Satan

I'm not sure of Ankar's origin as a word but it seems pretty old & unrelated to Ankara. It also has a similar pronunciation to both Enki & Ea.
Last edited by Omnis Validus on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex Mea Sententia.

Topic author
Jess

Post#12 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:06 pm

BrotherButterball wrote:
Jess wrote:Hi there,

I doubt Ankar has got anything to do with Ankara. Or vice versa.

Ankara is just a recent name of the capital city of Turkey which during ancient time was called Ancyre.

I would see more the Gray-Cobb's Ankar being the sikh representation of "OM" known for them as "ek oankar" (AKA ek onkar or ek omkar)

Ek in Urdu or in Hindi means one (Yek in Persian or Farsi)
Ong being the creative energy
and Kar meaning that this energy is in action.

Hello Jess,

That is very interesting what you posted.

Will have to look into this further.

Thank you very much.

BB

Maybe it also comes from Ankh, the Egyptian cross meaning "the life", that is just a thought

IronOrchid
Adeptus Major

Post#13 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:33 pm

Martialis wrote:Unlike 'barbarous words of power' it seems to actually mean something and overall seems out of place with everything else in that NAP invocation and is prolly not even necessary.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I found the opposite so far: at least insofar as I find that phrase to be very powerful and, as I tend to occasionally do this invocation in situations other than a darkened room (eg on the tube, or when I need to quickly tune into the energies in myself NAP has helped me tap) I certainly think it's just one of those things that works as written.

That said I've not tried it without "ankar" and don't really plan to, as I'm getting what I look for from just doing it as written - usually spoken silently with my eyes closed to kind of tap in.

Just my experience, and as there seems to be a clear typo/omission re the word Elohim (correctly Eloahim) it does indicate that there may be room for - shall we say personal development on the themes & invocations. :)

IOx
"...there's no such thing as the unknown. Only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood."
Captain James T Kirk

Omnis Validus
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

Post#14 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:52 pm

Thought I'd add my concluded opinion on this topic while I'm here. After spending some time meditating on the mantra "Onkar" (which exists as basically the same concept of "Om" in Sikhism), I've come to believe, personally, that this is what Gray-Cobb intended as his Ankar in NAP. They resonate identically and produce the same energetic effect on the practitioner.

X
Ex Mea Sententia.

IronOrchid
Adeptus Major

Post#15 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks!

It's always interesting to hear how these things turned out when an older topic comes up: I have a question if I may, did you change the pronounication to reflect the difference in spelling of the two words?

IOx
"...there's no such thing as the unknown. Only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood."
Captain James T Kirk

Omnis Validus
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

Post#16 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:34 pm

I did, though very slightly; both words still resonate with the same energy. For Ankar, I was pronouncing the word as Ahn-Kahr - using a long 'a' sound, as in 'small'. For Onkar, the sound comes out about the same, except the first sound is a little more rounded...it still comes out as 'ahn-kahr', though, instead of the first syllable resonating from the head it resonates more from the diaphragm-throat (if that makes sense).

X
Ex Mea Sententia.

IronOrchid
Adeptus Major

Post#17 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:41 am

It does - thanks! 8-)

IOx
Captain James T Kirk

Slater
Adeptus Exemptus

Post#18 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:19 pm

Thought I'd add my concluded opinion on this topic while I'm here. After spending some time meditating on the mantra "Onkar" (which exists as basically the same concept of "Om" in Sikhism), I've come to believe, personally, that this is what Gray-Cobb intended as his Ankar in NAP. They resonate identically and produce the same energetic effect on the practitioner.

Awesome :-)

Topic author
Martialis

Post#19 » Sat May 29, 2010 11:31 pm

Hmm...makes sense. But why not just use something like EHEIEH, ARARITA or AGLA? I mean he more or less teaches along qabalistic lines. In any case, I googled (cause I google) and found: http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Ek_Onkar. Also, now that the possible source of 'Ankar' might've been found do you guys think it could be substituted for a similar word such as any of the ones I referenced above? Cheers!

Rhett
Neophyte

Post#20 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:52 am

Here is another possibility -- in Aleister Crowley's 1904 edition of the Goetia, there is an invocation of "Ancar" in the Adoration at the Induing of the Vestments (page 44 of my edition). Several other spirits are named as well, including "Amocor"; "Amides"; "Theodonias"; and "Anitor." I have been told by a Goetia practitioner that these are names of specific angels called on for protection.

Considering that Mr. Cobb also adapts the Bornless Invocation from the Goetia, this may be the true origin of the word "Ankar" in the NAP.