Ankar= ?

The methods and techniques outlined in The Miracle of New Avatar Power by Geof Gray-Cobb

Topic author
armchairmage

Ankar= ?

Post#1 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:03 am

Dear all,

the beginning of the main NAP ritual contains the statement
"... I state my purpose thus: ANKAR YOD HAY VAW HAY."
I don't recognise what the original hebrew (presumably?) is for ANKAR, nor what it means - and would be grateful if someone could enlighten me.

Thanks.

A

vovin
Adeptus Exemptus

Re: Ankar= ?

Post#2 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:18 am

Well I know we debated this somewhere on this forum previously and the only thing I could find was

The Yezidis sometimes use the name “Ankar” for Satan and the name Angar-Manyu for Ahriman in Zoroastrianism. 9 The Mishaf (Scripture) Resh (Black) the Yezidis believe was written by Shaikh Hasan al-Basri has been called “Black” because the word Satan is covered in it. Some believe it was the Quran with the words for Satan covered by wax. It measures 28 x 21 cm. and has a leather cover. The Yezidis also have a reputation for being adepts at black magick.

Now remember that according to Biblical history Satan was a Holy archangel before the fall. Or if you know anything about Luciferian doctrine it could elude to Lucifer 'the light bringer' a very different entity to satan all together in my opinion. Thats all I could find on the subject I am not sure why that name was included or if it has some other meaning all together?
Vovin
Remember 'For the Man of Religion, Believes in God, The Magician, Knows God.'
(Ars Solomonis)

Topic author
Martialis

Post#3 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:06 pm

Maybe it's related to An + Ki (Heaven/Sky and Earth) or Kur (mountain) in Sumerian? There's also a city in Turkey named Ankara (from the Greek word for 'anchor') which might be related? Unlike 'barbarous words of power' it seems to actually mean something and overall seems out of place with everything else in that NAP invocation and is prolly not even necessary.

BrotherButterball
Adeptus Major

Post#4 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:02 pm

Martialis wrote:Maybe it's related to An + Ki (Heaven/Sky and Earth) or Kur (mountain) in Sumerian? There's also a city in Turkey named Ankara (from the Greek word for 'anchor') which might be related? Unlike 'barbarous words of power' it seems to actually mean something and overall seems out of place with everything else in that NAP invocation and is prolly not even necessary.

Hello,

I believe that Geof Gray-Cobb placed everything and every word in his books for a purpose.

For example, he wrote about the De Hay Thooth invocation to add that final jolt of power

to your magical working.

I would heed what the man wrote.

Just my take that's all.

BB
blackanddarkmagickthatworks.wordpress.com

supernaturalmagicklab.wordpress.com

youcandomagicthatworks.wordpress.com

Topic author
Jess

Post#5 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:50 am

Hi there,

I doubt Ankar has got anything to do with Ankara. Or vice versa.

Ankara is just a recent name of the capital city of Turkey which during ancient time was called Ancyre.

I would see more the Gray-Cobb's Ankar being the sikh representation of "OM" known for them as "ek oankar" (AKA ek onkar or ek omkar)

Ek in Urdu or in Hindi means one (Yek in Persian or Farsi)
Ong being the creative energy
and Kar meaning that this energy is in action.

BrotherButterball
Adeptus Major

Post#6 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:14 am

Jess wrote:Hi there,

I doubt Ankar has got anything to do with Ankara. Or vice versa.

Ankara is just a recent name of the capital city of Turkey which during ancient time was called Ancyre.

I would see more the Gray-Cobb's Ankar being the sikh representation of "OM" known for them as "ek oankar" (AKA ek onkar or ek omkar)

Ek in Urdu or in Hindi means one (Yek in Persian or Farsi)
Ong being the creative energy
and Kar meaning that this energy is in action.

Hello Jess,

That is very interesting what you posted.

Will have to look into this further.

Thank you very much.

BB
blackanddarkmagickthatworks.wordpress.com

supernaturalmagicklab.wordpress.com

youcandomagicthatworks.wordpress.com

Topic author
BrotherM

Post#7 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:02 pm

I always felt that it was an abreviation for something else, such as AGLA, which would make sence given that it is followed by the Tetragrammaton. From memory, it goes, "I call on the inner planes to witness thus: ANKAR YOD-HAY-VAW-HAY", which to me would suggest that ANKAR is somehow notariqon for the inner aspect of one's divinity, such as the HGA.

Just my personal take, nothing really to back this up etc

Bro-M

Topic author
Jess

Post#8 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:45 pm

BrotherM wrote:. From memory, it goes, "I call on the inner planes to witness thus: ANKAR YOD-HAY-VAW-HAY", which to me would suggest that ANKAR is somehow notariqon for the inner aspect of one's divinity, such as the HGA.

Not exactly : "I call on the inner planes to witness, I state my purpose thus: ANKAR YOD-HAY-VAW-HAY", and I am not too sure now if it is a coma or a period after witness. In any case that changes the meaning of the sentence (more though if it is a period) and fail, to my opinion, but it is only mine, to meet the notarikon part you mentioned.

Topic author
BrotherM

Post#9 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:34 am

probably correct

Omnis Validus
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

Post#10 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:09 am

I'm still very curious about this. The thing I feel fits the best is what Vovin said in his post. But I guess we'll probably never know for certain.

X
Ex Mea Sententia.