Ars Philtron, Schulke, and Wortcunning

Witchcraft, Wicca, Paganism, Folkways, Elemental Magic and Dark Paganism.

Topic author
sylvanus
Adeptus Minor

Ars Philtron, Schulke, and Wortcunning

Post#1 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:11 pm

Has anyone ever read this exceedingly interesting if "officially" extremely rare manuscript on the Arts of Wortcunning? It has been quite inspiring, and my witch-brethren and I are scouting and planning for some Green Sojourns in the spring, both in places distant and in newly discovered areas near both they and myself. This Schulke fellow seems to be quite a character, and although his writing style is a little 'over the top' in its vintage Englishness I am finding it quite inspiring, and should be to anyone interested in this field of magic. The integration with Planetary Magic should find some interest in our Hermetic brethren here, as it is a very natural one and could be as inspiring to a Planetary Theurgist curious about some witchcraft as it has been to this witch curious about cunning means of Planetary Theurgy. Certain potions are created with piles of herbs and flowers for each planet, for instance, surrounding a central 'sun' orbit in a circular fashion, preferably replicating the position of the seven rulers in the sky at the time of the potions creation. Little details like this make this book a gem.

A few quibbles that the quick reader will immediately notice: it is quite tool heavy.. if you follow his advice to the letter you could easily spend hundreds of dollars before a single potion is produced. This is of course true in some way if you want to make mundane tinctures, but as every stage in the process is a sacred act of Green Alchemy one should strive to create the finest and most natural tools in which to create the potions. There is also the instruction here to cut a stirring rod out of one of a number of sacred trees, or even create a collection of specially empowered ones for particular kinds of enchantments. And this should of course be done with a particular tree in a particular season, after having made many sacrifices and incantations to the tree over a lunar cycle... it should be given your own blood, etc. Such elaborated details are sprinkled throughout the instructions and while they are nectar to my ear they may be poison to another.

Another part I really like is the instructions for the Green Sojourn. Turning the act of wildcrafting into a sacred act, accompanied by fasting, purification, and sacrifice. I really like the notion of several days of silence before the sojourn. It strikes me that would be very powerful indeed.

Is it breaking the rules if I encourage everyone interested in methods of practical plant sorcery to print a pdf copy?

Also fair warning.. many of the potions therein could kill you if you took them wrong. It is expected that you go into it with the available knowledge of all plants discussed and used in the formulas described. This is not in any way a "plug and play' grimoire and the while many of the philtres may have a direct magic effect these formulas are mostly for people who already have experience with magic. Primarily these formulas are herbal tonics designed not only to have concrete health benefits, but are specifically designed to strengthen or purify the Aethyric Orb of the sorcerer in various ways and assist him in his acts of magic. There is also a curious section of asperges such as an exorcism spray meant to be distributed in an atomiser, and a "Sorcerers Hand Wash". If, like me, you have chosen to let the Cultus Sabbati material languish fermenting in its obscurity, this may whet your whistle.

Is anyone else engaged in this kind of witchery? Lets here about it.

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login