Meditative position

Discuss any aspects of Magic not covered in our more specific forums.

Topic author
Mordant
Neophyte

Meditative position

Post#1 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:22 am

Recently I have been working on different types of meditation. Normally, I sit cross-legged on my bed with my back to the wall, my hands in the typical lotus style (intertwined with the thumbs touching, forming an deep oval). In a moment of insight, I switched my hand position so that the fingertips of one hand was touching the base of the palm (or wrist) of the other (this being done with the dominant hand on top). My mediation was particularly deep that night (lasting 4 hours before I came out of it), the whole time it felt as if my consciousness was severely “stretching”. It was not an unpleasant feeling, but not exactly comfortable either.

During my mediation the small bit of understanding came that the hand gesture signified infinity/eternity/etc. verses the typical hand gesture that represents understanding. The awkward position of hands also signifies the uncomfortable feeling of knowledge without understanding. My working theory is that the typical lotus hand gesture opens up wisdom (or understanding) in which knowledge will very slowly put two and two together. This eternity position allows for knowledge without needing an understanding which forces the consciousness to expand.

I was wondering if anyone has read anything on the matter. If not, I would love to hear about other people’s experiences with this method.

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login