When a magical system or style doesn't feel right.

Discuss any aspects of Magic not covered in our more specific forums.

Topic author
Silenciumetaurum
Praeceptor
Praeceptor

When a magical system or style doesn't feel right.

Post#1 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:03 pm

Greetings,

Lately, I've been looking at styles and forms of magical work that I've mostly avoided up to this point. For example, Andrew Chumbley's Cultus Sabbati or some of the more new age iterations of Victor Anderson's Feri witchcraft, among several others. I pass no judgement on these systems and their grimoires. Some of them seem very good to me and in line with my personal development (like Gemma Gary's Devil's Dozen text on traditional Cornish craft or Greer's resurrection of the Fellowship of the Hermetic Rose). But others, like much of Storm Faerywolf's material that was handed to him from Anderson and some of the more recent Sabbatic witchcraft grimoires, don't resonate with me much. So I wonder: why is this? How could some lineages and systems seem so powerful and appropriate while others, which are not actually so different, turn me off?

Have you had this experience? I'm especially interested in experiences where intellectually (or in some other way), you might feel attracted to a system but something always holds you back from practicing it.
Aradia: Letters from the Dark Moon

If something is hard, do it more. Don't run away.

This topic has 14 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login