Sensory Homogeneity

Discuss any aspects of Magic not covered in our more specific forums.

Topic author
blindwake
Zelator

Sensory Homogeneity

Post#1 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:00 pm

I posited consciousness as a data structure that could store "items", where each item was a discrete piece of sensory data such as a single color, a single sound, etc.

I then asked myself, "how do I describe the things with which I describe other things?" Of all the senses, the following was common:
- Position
- Meaning

I could not discern any more. To me, the senses seemed to act on different channels, but then I wondered, "if I was not necessarily human before, then how could I have discovered light before I had eyes?" I realized that it was necessary to be able to "travel" from one sensory type to another, or else it would likely be impossible to have reached the point I am at now.

I probed the matter by manipulating the positions of sensory data, hoping that something interesting would happen. I realized that in order to define a position for a sense, I had to define it in terms of other items of the same sense. That is, I couldn't put the colors where the sounds were, and so on. There was no "coordinate system" to fiddle with. I merely added and subtracted with what I already had.

This reminded me of closed number spaces. E.g. if you add a number to a number, you always get a number. Similarly, I thought, if you add a color to a color you always get a color, and so on for the other senses.

I realized that I could apply this concept in unexpected ways. E.g. I did arithmetic on my colors until I had the impression of being able to see behind myself. If I can see where I can't see, why can't I hear where I can't hear?

This topic is abstract, so just try to connect the dots.

Questions
I have senses that appear to be discrete, so how could I put them all in the same box? How can I store them all together in the same consciousness? Where do I separate them into discrete bins? Is the number of senses consciousness can contain fixed? Can consciousness only contain a limited amount of data? How does it change size if it doesn't? Where is consciousness stored?

Unstored Storage
If I posit that something is stored, then that storage container must also have a storage container, and so on. Since there can be no final storage container to finish the infinite chain, there can be no storage container at all, or else the base item would not exist, but it does. Therefore consciousness is not stored, but stores.

Empirical Meaning
It is not my opinion that matters, but the opinion of my opinion that matters.
That is, a piece of data is inherently meaningless until something acts upon it, thereby applying a meaning.
I know that something is painful if I have moved away. I know that something is pleasant if I move towards it.

Closed Spaces
Every time I add a number to a number, I get a number.
Every time I add a position to a color, I get a color at a new position.
Every time I add a color to a color, I get a color.
Every time I add a sound to a sound, I get a sound.

Cross Talk Between Closed Spaces
But the changing colors relate to the changing sounds
Things on separate spaces cannot interact, therefore color and sound must be within the same space
Therefore the spaces are not closed by law, but by convention

Circular Definition
So the colors were like colors because I treated them as so; similar were the sounds, scents, and so on
The colors affected the colors like colors, maintaining them as colors
I decided to treat some sounds like colors, and then they looked like colors

Subjective Meaning
Then I noticed that the colors weren't colors at all. The sounds also weren't sounds. They were just meanings of specific nature.
The separation between what seemed like distinct spaces was all in my head.
I tried to define my senses, but I could only define them based on the data they conferred, not they themselves
It was the interpretation of a color that made it a color; that's it
One might even argue that the only data contained was the position of the color, and so, how it related to the other positions.

Imaginary Things
I had wondered, "what is it that makes my internal critic sound different?" when I had been trying to make it sound real. I realized that the only difference was that I didn't respond to it as if it were "real". Likewise, the only thing imaginary about astral hands was that if someone tried to shake my hand, I wouldn't reach with my astral hands.

Conclusion
Can anyone comment on sensory homogeneity? Any interesting findings that you might have also discovered? I personally think the most interesting discovery is how sensory homogeneity makes one change their understanding of spatial dimensions.
The ability to think can be corroded. The thoughts themselves never break down.
Occult as in hidden, not conspiracy. I'm Paper Mario, asking the cubes to do things.

This topic has 10 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login