True Pronunciation of the Tertragrammaton

Discuss any aspects of Magic not covered in our more specific forums.

Topic author
Listener
Practicus

True Pronunciation of the Tertragrammaton

Post#1 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:13 am

This topic will cover theories/scepticism over what the accurate pronunciation of the ancient Hebrew God name, which is typically spelled "Yod Heh Vau Heh" (YHWH), was.

Obviously, this topic has generated numerous theories on its own, as the Jewish priests held considerable superstition regarding the Name's pronunciation, replacing it with various titles such as "Adonai".

It is my supposition that the very written name is itself a blind. The ancient Hebrews believed that the phonetic power in language was hidden within the vowel sounds. Obviously, ancient Hebrew words were written only with the consonants included, meaning that a well rounded understanding of the language was important before literacy was achieved. Based upon this, it seems illogical that the Hebrew's One True God was named with any consonants at all.

Based upon my own ritual work and use of the many reconstructed pronunciations of the Name, I've come to the conclusion that the accurate pronunciation was closer to the magical formula "IAO". Perhaps pronounced closer to "Yee Awe Ho". I've subjectively noticed a much purer feeling of raw potentiality when using this name in the place of YHWH when it appears in ritual contexts.

Obviously, I am only one person and my subjective experience may or may not be your own. The Hebrew God himself was notoriously dodgy when Moses asked him what his name was in the Torah. Perhaps God in this context was intendid to have no name.

Am I missing any pieces to this puzzle? If we could all put our heads together on this topic I'm certain we could get closer to an accurate reconstruction of this divine name.

This topic has 37 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login