Lamen : did you design or make your own?

Discuss any aspects of Magic not covered in our more specific forums.

Topic author
hieronymus
Neophyte

Lamen : did you design or make your own?

Post#1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:12 am

This started out as a meditation on a logo, and turned into a creative jumpstart for a personal lamen.
Here's how I did mine :

I focused on the capital W M T of the Western Mystery Tradition and spiraled off :

I wanted the T/Tau of Tradition (and knowledge) to be present as a central thing, and the W and M with their jagged look easily led me by overlapping them to both the unicursal hexagram and then flanked the central "T" with two pillars. Balance and complementary forces were also to be staple items of this logo, and there's a lot of that in here.

The unicursal hexagram is composed of two lightning bolts, a white one that has a S-rune look, and a black one that is more like a tilted Z or N. The Lightning Bolt or Mezla, is the way the God- force descends on the Tree of Life. At the same time, the W and M can be traced in the unicursal hexagram as well. (I'm not a Thelemist by the way, as I noticed the unicursal hexagram being used almost as a trademark of that current.)

The Solar Cross had to be there as well, and already having a Tau in there, it only took a prolonging of the base of the Tau to get an equal armed cross - and the Middle Pillar, in the process.

So far I had the three pillars of the Tree of life with a unicursal hexagram composed of a black and a white lightning, the Tau or Tav (Saturn hint) and a Solar Cross. This is an important symbol to me as it is the most basic Magick Circle and definition of the Magician as being centered, in the center of Creation and a representative of Godhead.

The Middle Pillar in this glyph is as much an opening, or entrance, as a volume. That is because the way of Balance may very well be the opening to the Mysteries, incorporating Light and Dark, not as opposing factions but complimentary powers. It is light golden, or ivory in color, The three pillars remind me very much of the (Druid) Awen symbol.

The horizontal arm of the cross has both red and blue, colors attributed to Geburah and Chesed in the scale of Briah. Structure and restraining power, paired with abundance and infinite possibilities. This worked out well with the gold-yellow of the light in between, referring to Tiphareth.The red-gold-blue scheme also reminds me of the three Hebrew Mother letters Shin(Fire)-Aleph(Yellow)-Mem(Water).

The circle around the cross is implied, but not shown. It could be circumscribing the hexagram, or it could be the greater circle encompassing the four circles that mirror the four worlds (Atziluth Briah Yetzirah Assiah). As most of the graphics were very straight and male-energy, it was fitting to incorporate the four circles that form the blueprint of the Tree of Life as a supporting structure behind it, and let the pillars have curved endings as well.

The golden disk in the middle refers to the aspiring magician, centered, in a place of equilibrium. It is also the Sun Disk, and the Pentacle.

I decided to use this as a lamen as it is a result of personal work and getting the symbol concise and powerful at the same time. Getting it from drawing table into 3D has been very gratifying !

If you want to design your own, take your time. If you tweaked an existing one, I 'd like to hear what you changed, or added, and why?
Attachments
WMT symbol lamen.jpg
Picture 211.jpg
"We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville."
Jim Butcher

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login