Magic is connected to the survival instinct

Discuss any aspects of Magic not covered in our more specific forums.

Topic author
Sepherion
Adeptus Major

Magic is connected to the survival instinct

Post#1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:25 am

Have you noticed how, when people are in danger and can't do anything physical about it, they turn to spirituality? They start praying, even if they don't believe in spirits or God.

For example, people are on a plane that's about to crash, without them being able to do anything about it. In such a case, the most common reaction is to pray. Basically, to do magic.

This goes to prove that magic and spiritual practices are deeply buried in the unconscious and are closely related to survival and preservation.

Not sure what this means though, as this just dawned on me and I didn't have much time to ponder on the idea. If anyone has anything to add to this, it would help develop this idea.

Maybe it just means that, when we are powerless, we like to turn to and plead with higher powers to help us. But maybe there's a deeper meaning to this that I'm just not getting yet. :thinking

The reason why I posted this is because I think it could help in gaining a better understanding of magic and its connection to our survival, instincts, the unconscious, etc. Maybe, at the deepest unconscious level, the only thing that's left is magic and spirit, which animates us and keeps us alive, which we don't want to lose, because that would mean losing our lives. Which would further prove that spirituality is the deepest and most important meaning of life on Earth.
But be thou sure that clear sight shall never man have here in this life: but the feeling may men have through grace when God vouchsafeth.

- The Cloud of Unknowing

This topic has 24 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login