Ceremonial magic, an interpretation: right or wrong?

Discuss any aspects of Magic not covered in our more specific forums.

Topic author
Sepherion
Adeptus Major

Ceremonial magic, an interpretation: right or wrong?

Post#1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:18 pm

This is an interpretation (not entirely mine) on ceremonial magic. I wanted to get your opinion on whether this is right or not. To be completely honest, I very rarely do ceremonial magic. My practice is more inwardly concentrated. When I summon a spirit, I just either lie down on the bed and concentrate, or otherwise sit in a comfortable position for the entire duration of the operation. Sometimes, if necessity arises, I summon spirits when I'm out in public as well, using my mind and concentration. Like when me and my friends were in trouble at a police station because we were carrying weed, and I summoned a spirit while I was there, to ask for help :mrgreen:

In any case, this is the interpretation. In grimoires, the explanations and descriptions of the operations and the ceremonial tools are actually veiled. Basically, they are described in code. Aleister Crowley in his Liber Aba and Franz Bardon in his PoME describe what those ceremonial tools actually are. They are not actual physical tools, but they refer to parts of the magician himself. This is an example:

Aleister Crowley writes that the circle is actually the aura of the magician, which he calls "the true circle", if I'm not mistaken. Taking this into consideration then, the names written in the circle are actually names you are supposed to invoke into yourself and your aura, for spiritual authority. I mean, let's be honest, a mere circle drawn on the floor is not going to give you any authority or protection. Actually invoking those names, however, will.

But again, I'm not a ceremonial magician, so maybe I'm wrong, in which case someone correct me.

The wand is the will of the magician, not an actual object that you wield in the air.

The triangle is the magician's focus and concentration in conjuration, as well as the threefold call to the spirit. Vibrating a spirit's name three times could mean that you are "calling it in the triangle". Also, saying the conjuration three times.

The robe is the godform that you assume, the spirit that you wear, prior to evocation.

The sword is magical authority.

The cup is your knowledge and understanding of what you are doing, which will grant power to the ritual.

Etc.

By these explanations, I take it that ceremonial magic is not done by wielding actual physical tools, but by becoming conscious of certain parts of yourself and using them to achieve a better and more fixed result in your operation. You use the tools only in the beginning and, after you understand what they represent, you stop using them and use your own powers directly.

So what do you think? Is this a viable theory?
But be thou sure that clear sight shall never man have here in this life: but the feeling may men have through grace when God vouchsafeth.

- The Cloud of Unknowing

This topic has 22 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login