Analysis of the Lord's Prayer

Discuss any aspects of Magic not covered in our more specific forums.

Topic author
Sepherion
Adeptus Major

Analysis of the Lord's Prayer

Post#1 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:29 am

First of all, I know there's another thread on the Lord's Prayer, but this is not just for discussion. I thought of making another thread, proper for analysis within an occult paradigm, where we can each share our own understanding of the functions of this prayer. If the moderators don't agree with making another thread, then you can feel free to move the OP and the replies in the already existing thread. I just thought it would be good to separate the two because they discuss different things about it.

First of all, this is an extremely effective prayer to be used as a preliminary invocation in ritual, which will grant quite a lot of power and authority. Note: I used to say this prayer in Latin, but for some reason I found that it is not that effective when I use that language. I now prefer either my own language or the English of King James. I actually do almost all of my rituals in English.

1. Our Father which art in heaven - This is the address to Kether and to the male principle of the Creator. Also, to God in his defined aspect in Kether. Undefined aspect would be Ain Soph or Ain.

2. Hallowed be thy name - This is the invocation of the Unutterable Name. Authority over everything under God is here.

3. Thy kingdom come - "Kether is in Malkuth and Malkuth is in Kether". This is a form of sexual union with the divine. Frequent use of the prayer will establish the Malkuth of God within the sphere of the magician. The Malkuth of God is the New Jerusalem, the state of consciousness called Illumination in Eastern Magic. When I got to this part of the prayer I actually saw a great kingdom descending from heaven.

4. Thy will be done - The consecration of the Wand. The Wand is not a physical tool, but symbolic of the will of the magician. This is invocation of the Will of God (most likely Ain Soph, as this is what existed before the expression of will into "Let there be light", which is Ain Soph Aur).

5. In earth, as it is in heaven - Obviously, uniting the Macrocosm with the Microcosm. This ties into the "Thy Kingdom come" part, representing the Kether of Malkuth and the Malkuth of Kether. It is also the formula of evocation to physical manifestation by using Ain Soph, the Will of God, which is Limitless, therefore transcending physical and spiritual.

6. Give us this day our daily bread - Theophagy.

7. And forgive us our debts - General purification and purification of personal Karma and all evil attachments.

8. As we forgive our debtors - Purification of evil attachments because of the wrongdoings others have done to you.

(7 and 8 is invocation of Chesed, Divine Mercy)

9. And lead us not into temptation - Further, protection from evil attachments. Also, invocation of Divine Guidance throughout the day.

10. But deliver us from evil - Correct translation would be "from the evil one", but this works as well. It implies protection from the Evil Genius, but also from the devil, which is the principle of matter. This also protects from all evil occurences during the entire day. This is also invocation of Geburah, to balance the arms of the Cross.

The entire prayer is an alchemical formula of transmutation of metal (physical state of consciousness) into gold (spiritual state).

If anyone has anything else to add, please do. I found this prayer to be extremely useful in magic and subsequent invocation is almost effortless after I recite this prayer a couple of times.
But be thou sure that clear sight shall never man have here in this life: but the feeling may men have through grace when God vouchsafeth.

- The Cloud of Unknowing

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login