Spiritual authority derived from Responsibility?

Discuss any aspects of Magic not covered in our more specific forums.

Topic author
Amxha
Philosophus

Spiritual authority derived from Responsibility?

Post#1 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:07 pm

Maybe Solomonic Magick is not the forcible spirit work that people make it out to be?
Also, its pretty darn shamanistic; posting this here in the General Magick Forum because I am curious to hear about similar phenomenon in other magical practices besides the Solomonic Tradition.

I've been experimenting with the 'words of power' termed Semiforas that are presented in the book Sefer Razielis:
http://www.amazon.com/Sepher-Raziel-Sixteenth-Sourceworks-Ceremonial/dp/0738723533
and are further explained by Andreas Luppius' Semiphoras und Shemhamphoras Salominis:
http://www.esotericarchives.com/moses/67moses2.htm#appendix3

The word "Semiphoras" derives from the kabbalist term "shem hammephorash" which is the extended Tetragrammaton (216 letters!) [just for folks who don't know]

When I apply the Semiphoras in my spirit work/practice according to my analysis of the texts (along with some supplementary observations from Agrippa's Philosophy of Natural Magic and Barrett's recompilation in The Magus), an interesting phenomena occurs in which a spirit that displayed some serious reluctance to answer/fulfill requests beforehand becomes cooperative once the names are applied with distinct purpose.

This was initially very confusing to me, and it consistently happened when I DID apply the semiphoras (over time, I had to apply it less and less, the spirits I approached or the spirits that approached me began to display cooperative behavior with more frequency without any prompting on my part).

I got the idea that instead of PURELY commanding or controlling spirits, it was absorbing them into a personal 'spirit support network/family, after doing some consistent divination on the matter for the past four months.

This idea and phenomenon seems to be supported by what is recorded in Luppius' text concerning the Semiphoras.
However, the whole document is so couched in religious language, especially the esoteric example of the Christ (its pretty darn rosicrucian) that it takes a couple of reads as well as some experimentation to see and understand whats going on.

The composition of the Semiphoras describes exactly which forces are being utilized every time the names are applied.
The composition includes:
- Creator, Providence, and Divinity
- The Hierarchy of Angels
- The Four Angels of the Directions
- The Four Angels of the Elements
- The Zodiac
- The Fourfold Composition of Mankind
- The Four Demonic Princes of the Elements
- The Four Demonic Princes of the Directions
- and so many more, including the Sephiroth, Planets, etc.

Authority can definitely derive from responsibility and provision of guidance due to consideration or care, so maybe its not too farfetched. According to the text, spiritual authority is only acquired when spiritual understanding or enlightenment is relentlessly pursued...

It seems like a very literal and detailed take on spirit work. Wondering if it reflects anyone else's practices?
Jesus said to them, "Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you." - Matthew 21:31

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login