Lucifuge Rofocale and The Song of Songs

Qabalah, Kabbalah, Cabala, Gematria, Tree of Life Path-working, and light Philosophical / Religious discourse.

Topic author
Diazin
Adeptus Minor

Lucifuge Rofocale and The Song of Songs

Post#1 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:27 am

Greetings!

Im starting this thread to discuss the ethymology of the name Lucifuge Rofocale and its biblical or other possible roots and origins.

In the Song of Songs 8:5, we read:

מִי זֹאת, עֹלָה מִן-הַמִּדְבָּר, מִתְרַפֶּקֶת, עַל-דּוֹדָהּ; תַּחַת הַתַּפּוּחַ, עוֹרַרְתִּיךָ--שָׁמָּה חִבְּלַתְךָ אִמֶּךָ, שָׁמָּה חִבְּלָה יְלָדַתְךָ

The word in bold is "rophoq" or "raphaq" depending on the pronunciation. I have ZERO hebrew and Im just starting to learn, but that root plus the context in which it occurs seems perfect to describe Lucifuge Rofocale:

Who is this that cometh up from the wilderness, leaning upon her beloved? Under the apple-tree I awakened thee; there thy mother was in travail with thee; there was she in travail and brought thee forth

The Song of Songs is an enigmatic book, where the commonest interpretation isthink woman is God and the man Israel. But if we read that specific versicle, we can note that her beloved is more akin to God and she to Israel, at least in that situation. She is coming from the wilderness, "supporting on her beloved". The wilderness is the desert whose sun is unbearable. Note that at the beggining of the book the Shulamite - the woman - is concerned about her dark skin as she used to work in the vineyard. Her darkened skin was reason for her to feel ashamed, that is, the unbearable sun of the desert caused her shame.

She then " rophoq" El to escape the opression of the sun to find her "peace" under the apple tree. Schulamite and Solomon share the same root, ShLM, which is usually translated as "peace", but according to Jeff Benner's Ancient Hebrew Lexicon it means "complete". That lexicon has some not so encouraging reviews, but it has been consistent so far everytime I used it. Anyway, Id love some indications of other lexicons if you guys know of any others. The woman is desiring for completion through love.

So, Rofocale might be the latinization of Rophoqel rather than the spelling backwards of Lucifer, and would then mean "Who leans upon El", and that leaning would be to find the ideal shade of light for one's own completion and peace, thus being in peace with one's own shadow, as a shadow is itself but a shade of light. Thus the title Lucifuge, who flees light.

Matches my personal experience with him. I worked with him in a daily basis for 30 days, where I was supposed to be with my eyes closed during the ritual and rely only upon my hearing, for in absolute darkness, eyes are useless. Besides that, according to Agrippa, hearing is the sense of awareness, not sight. And, hearing is connected to the anahata chakra, the jivatman, the man-god, the Self. After working with him, I found the light of the Divine, in the shade the fit me best.

Thoughts?

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login