Deriving Elemental Attributions on the Great Table

General Enochian Discussion.

Topic author
lgdvl73
Adeptus Exemptus

Deriving Elemental Attributions on the Great Table

Post#1 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:28 pm

If elements are used at all in Enochian Magick, it is usually presented as the Golden Dawn conceived of it. Based on S.L.M. Mathers' pentagram model, the directions for the four elements are related to a classical correspondence of the 4 Kerubic Signs of the Zodiac (Leo, Scorpio, Aquarius, and Taurus), and their respective elements are then attributed to the four directions.

As will become clear, John Dee based the Great Table on a different symbol structure. This symbol structure is constructed by the 91 Parts of the Earth, and in specific an understanding of how John Dee attributed the signs of the zodiac to the twelve tribes of Israel.

It is not my intention to offer something 'correct' at the expense of another interpretation being 'wrong'. I do however have a strong intuition that there is a clear and simple understanding of how the four classical elements can be related to the great table. This information is not new, but somehow gets swept under the rug as it is never discussed in any books I've seen on the topic of John Dee's Angelic Heptarchic and Enochian Magick.

First is a basic understanding of a couple of the correspondences delivered to Dee and Kelley in 'The Book of Earthly Science, Aid, and Victory' (Liber Scientiae). Among other correspondences, each of the 91 Governors is attributed to one of the twelve tribes of Israel. Our first step is then, understanding how to relate the twelve tribes of Israel with the twelve signs of the fixed stars of the zodiac.

Even though John Dee was never dictated zodiacal correspondences, we can infer them by referencing his source material as a precedent. It is documented in the spiritual diaries themselves that the basic structure of 'Liber Scientiae' was borrowed (either consciously on the part of Dee or Kelley, or unconsciously on the part of one or both) from Agrippa's Books of Occult Philosophy. Understanding how the twelve signs of the zodiac correspond to the twelve tribes of Israel in this specific system, is as easy as looking at the correct tables.

http://www.themagickalreview.org/enochi ... 1a-31b.jpg

Here you'll find Dee's table at the end of 'Liber Scientiae' entitled "Ordo Dispersi Israelis,..." . This loosely means "the order of the tribes of Israel dispersed". The first key here is to notice the numbering system applied to the twelve tribes:

1. Dan
2. Ruben
3. Iehudah (Judah)
etc ...

Next, we reference Dee's source material:

http://www.esotericarchives.com/agrippa/agripp2b.htm

Scroll down to the 'Scale of the Number Twelve', and you will see Agrippa's attributions. The first light bulb should illuminate when you begin to apply these attributions to Dee's numbering of the twelve tribes on the "Ordo Dispersi Israelis,...":

1. Dan - Aries
2. Ruben - Taurus
3. Iehudah - Gemini
etc ...

In other words, the numbering of the twelve tribes of Israel is in astrological order.

Furthermore, by completing the exercise on a piece of paper, one can witness for oneself that each of the directions neatly organize the zodiacal triplicates:

East - Aries, Leo, Sagittarius
South - Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn
West - Gemini, Libra, Aquarius
North - Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces

The next conclusion that it is possible to jump to, is that we have finished. We can easily say Fire is the East, Air is in the West, etc. This would be a premature cognitive commitment. John Dee had a very rich and complicated neural net.

By referring to 'Liber Scientiae', we can see that in addition to each Governor having a correspondence with one of the twelve tribes of Israel, they are also given a specific directional orientation. This directionality is also expressed in the table "Ordo Dispersi Israelis, ...".

There is another diagram in Sloane MS 3191 which describes how the twelve banner names of God from the Great Table are applied to the same directions. It can be found here:

http://www.themagickalreview.org/enochi ... 2b-58a.jpg

The diagram, entitled 'Quater Tria, Nomina Dei...' is representative of the positions of the Banner Names of God on the Original Transmission of the The Great Table. The same image linked to above also provides Dee's fair copy of both versions of The Great Table.

The twelve tribes can now be applied to the 12 Banner Names of God, and the 12 banner names of God form a circle around the "Table of Earth" (which is an alternate name the Angels use to refer to 'The Great Table').

The symbolism of the circle, and in particular in detail what this symbolism meant to the traditions Dee was familiar with, is detailed in a discourse on the Enochian Watchtowers by Aaron Leitch, and can be found here:

http://kheph777.tripod.com/art_discourse.html

As you can see and as I stated previously, this zodiacal system of discovering a clear relation between the elements and the Great Table has been laid out clearly for at least 11 years, but no one ever seems to mention it. I was amazed to find this essay by Aaron after coming to the same conclusions through my own research with regards to the Dee/Agrippa link. His exposition reviews, enriches, deepens, and confirms everything we have talked about up until this point, and moves into territory that I would now like to review.

To review, the elements in Enochian Magick are accessed and controlled through the spiraling name of the king on each tablet. The 3, 4, and 5 letter God Names extracted from the lineis Spiritus Sancti represent the Cardinal, Fixed, and Mutable Zodiac signs given to each respective element. Each tablet contains 6 Seniors, or Senators which we may infer (as Aaron points out, we are into new territory at this point) some form of astrological and elemental attribution. My perspective on how this is done is slightly different than Aaron's. I believe the Mutable Signs are more aptly related to the seniors names that are changeable, i.e. on the line of the holy spirit. This leaves the Cardinal signs attributed to the line of the father (extreme judgment), and the fixed signs related to the line of the son (affable).

My personal magickal correspondences work better with the system this way, and as we have left the realm of what was given directly to or implied by Dee, I will say only that I use these attributions to not only apply the Seniors to the Meridians of Eastern Medicine, but also the hours of the day (as each Meridian has a classical 2 hour portion of the day correspondence in Eastern Medicine). This when combined with the correct Heptarchical entities for the particular day of the week creates a potent system of Ritual Magick.

I have come to the conclusion based on this line of inquiry that this is where our ability to attribute the elements to the Great Table stops. When we approach each sub-angle of the Great Table, we immediately leave the more absolute (supernal) and Gnostic energies of the Greater Crosses. On the greater crosses, each element can be approached in its fundamental state. However, as is revealed through the 91 parts of the Earth, the elements are mixed into a veritable soup all over the great table when not brought into the higher level organization of the God Names, Tribes of Israel, Zodiac, etc.

It is my sincere belief that Enochian Magick achieves its effects by both astrological orientation (through the ideal hierarchies), as well as through physical earthly orientation (achieved by using the 91 spiritual governors).

The complex form of a working using all aspects of John Dee's Angel Magick, then includes the following components:

1. A Heptarchic Component aligned to the Day of the Week
2. An Astrological Component aligned to the Hour of the Day
3. An Aethyric Component aligned to a Location through the use of the 91 Governors
4. An Invocation of the God Names and Command of the Good Angels in 4 Quadrants (Continents)

Notice a few things.

If you need to have a location specific working, there will only be 2 hours in a day where alignment will be favorable.
The Heptarchic Kings and Princes can be used as a general favorable influence because they are aligned to the planet of the day, or as a supporting element in the ritual based on their functions if that is appropriate or efficacious.
To access the correct part of the Earth, the correct Aethyr needs to be invoked. Notice how each Aethyr has 3 spiritual Governors (with the exception of TEX). This means that what you do in one location has a resonance (or dissonance) with other parts of the earth.
Notice how the great table is used in two ways simultaneously. For even though it maps the 91 Spiritual Governors onto the globe, 'east and west in respect of your poles', it also works on the four continents of Nalvage when approached from a different plane, which are not physical places on the earth, but rather four fundamental perspectives which hold your universe together (represented by the 4 seals, and pseudo-fractal extraction of the angels in each quadrant).

That's all I got.

T
"The dark thought, the shame, the malice, meet them at the door laughing, and invite them in." ~ Rumi

http://henochiussimon.wordpress.com/

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login