Spiritual Benefit of Enochian Magic?

General Enochian Discussion.

Topic author
Strider
Zelator

Spiritual Benefit of Enochian Magic?

Post#1 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:44 am

Dear Friends,
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this. I am new here and I'm hoping this post will do "double duty" as an introduction and a way to ask my specific question. I have also asked a virtually identical question on the Grimoire Tradition forum, regarding Goetic evocation; I apologize in advance for what will seem to be a repeated post, but while my basic question is the same, I realize that we're dealing with two different "beasts" in terms of magical tradition, and that some who read the Grimoire forum might not read or be interested in this one, and vice versa. I've been "lurking" here for a while and found quite a lot of valuable information and insight, and so I have pretty high hopes that some of you might have helpful things to say about my question. I also know that this is something I need to find answers for myself, which I am trying to do through research, meditation, etc--but at the same time it doesn't hurt to ask people who may know ;)

First some background on my specific orientation, which I include only in the hopes that it will give you some idea of where I'm coming from on the "magical spectrum": I'm basically a traditionalist, with sympathies for the old Golden Dawn and the mysterious tradition of continental Rosicrucianism. I've been a student of magic for about three years now--mostly an "armchair wizard" reading Agrippa, Hockley and Golden Dawn stuff. I have however experimented with some angelic evocation, which is my primary interest, as well as developed a consistent daily practice of the LRP and Middle Pillar Ritual, meditation, and concentration. In terms of spiritual orthopraxy, I'm sort of a universalist Anglican Protestant with theosophist leanings, inspired especially by Boehme, William Law, Saint-Martin, and people like Johannes Kelpius.

My basic question is this: what is, or what could be, the spiritual benefit in practicing Enochian magic? I have only read a couple basic books and various essays and discussions online about it, but enough to get a general idea of the system and its history, I think. It is certainly intriguing, and seems like a wonderful way to explore the cosmos, but before I invest serious time studying it I need to figure out how it/if it could help one see beyond the cosmos, i.e. accomplish the Great Work, know God and achieve true liberation (moksha) for self and others. I'm not really interested here in the usual "it is dangerous and not really angelic" warnings about Enochian magic--although that is certainly not an unimportant question. However, assuming that the Enochian angels are indeed angels--and not fallen ones--what value can someone who is interested in spiritual ascent and perhaps helping all sentient beings find in the study and practice of this art?

Any insight, thoughts, and reflections on this will be much appreciated!

Thanks for your time.
Sincerely,
Strider

This topic has 26 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login