advanced magick for beginners Alan Chapman

New Grimoires and techniques outlined in books like NAP, NIP, Frater Malak, etc.

Topic author
amind
Philosophus

advanced magick for beginners Alan Chapman

Post#1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:48 am

So I heard quite a lot about this book recently, and have been giving it a read. I can say that it is excellent and treats most topics with pragmatism. Alan has quite the post modernist touch, yet doesnt shy away from traditionalist methods and mindsets. He's quite ecclectic.

In his book he explains that magick is the power to experience truth. to put it bluntly he says: decide that a dance will mean that it will rain, and after performing the dance, because you experienced that it will rain, it does and that's magick. What he is saying is that experience is the truth. But I have been having problems understanding his methodology of magick. So if we were to take the example about the rain dance. So he's stated that the rain dance means that it will rain, he does the dance, and because he experienced it occurs. (Ughhh now I'm just repeating myself :jkj )

Ok here's my problem with this methodlogy, this is the bit that confuses me. But if any of you have read this book can you tell me what does he mean by "Decide what the experience means". Does it mean that whilst performing the task, that you make yourself believe that one experience equates to another and that this causes the magick to occur? Because clearly experiencing a dance is nothin like experiencing rain. What do you tell yourself whilst performing the action, that it's the same?

What do you guys think about this book, I like the fact that he gives exercises throughout, he places a huge importance on practice rather than armchairery.

This topic has 37 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login