Pre-work with the Sigil

The Evocation and Invocation of Angelic and Planetary Spirits.

Topic author
Fio Praeter Humanus
Philosophus

Pre-work with the Sigil

Post#1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:23 pm

I just wanted to present a technique I use that seems to help with my results. As many know, my main praxis involves the angel book, liber angelos. As prep before any new evocation I of course sit down and draw out the spirit's sigil. I begin by drawing a double circle using a compass, then carefully by hand overlay the pencil mark with my pen. Then using the pen I draw the sigil or seal within using a straight edge as needed, before finally writing the spirits name in hebrew within the double circle. I have found a double circle with the name surrounding the seal always seems to help. Also I try and space the letters out to form a pentagram or hexagram if the name is 5 or 6 letters long. Aesthetics more than anything. Then allow it to dry for a bit so there will be no smudging.

Once this is done I get together bits of art supplies. Pens, colored pencils, markers, etc. I sit down with the sigil and just stare at it for awhile. If the inspiration hits me I dress it up a bit. Lite shading, colored lines, additional planetary symbols, etc. Nothing thought out, just rely on intuition and always error on less is more. I usually allot out an hour to do this. Will lightly go over one line, then do nothing for twenty minutes but just look and contemplate, then add more or not as the mood hits.

I have found this simple bit of preparatory work leading up to the working helps greatly. The level of contact I am able to establish and maintain is always higher. I do not believe it is the window dressing or art skills but rather just the simple time spent becoming familiar with the sigil before hand. Establishing initial contact with the energies within it.

I mention all of this because often we spend a lot of time discussing the details and exact rituals or wording of the working itself and less time on the preparatory work leading up to it, which is just as important. Try it and see if you notice the difference.

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login